Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budda Phatbass Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 6, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    It has been discontinued. Dan at Pedalgeek.com told me this today. Damn, now I have to start hunting eBay. Anyone got one they don't want anymore. Name a price.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    have you played one? I have, and wasn't that impressed

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same here. I found it average at best. Not worth its price at all.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well I want one to try out.

However, if they've discontinued them... well... I don't know.

I also wouldn't mind trying a Mesa V-Twin. But it has so many buttons and knobs. I just want something easy.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The V-Twin is actually very easy to use. The knobs are gain, B, M, T, presence, and master volume. The buttons are for channel switching. It takes about a minute to have it figured out. :)

(As if you didn't see this coming...) Shameless plug: I have one for sale here. ;)

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Does it hold bass well? How versitile is it? I am looking for a Chris Chaney or Ben Shepherd type overdrive sound. Do you think that pedal could achieve that? Good with active basses?

All in all, can you just give me a good description of it's uses and value and why you're selling it?

Also, can anyone suggest other comparable bass OD's. Or at least OD's that hold lows and don't fuzz out or distort at low settings and that are good with active basses.

7. You should look for a used Mesa Bottle Rocket. Definately holds the lows and has a good range of overdrives. You can also dial it in closer to the gain structure you're looking for with different 12AX7s. I think it works much better for bass than the V-Twin, but I haven't tried the Budda. Anyone have any thoughts on the Bottle Rocket compared to the Budda?

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Ummm yeah, things get discontinued for a reason...

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am a big fan of Chris Chaney's work with Alanis. Can you name a tune of his with overdrive sound?

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1 all around. I wasn't nuts about the Budda and preferred the Bottle Rocket. The Budda had a mid-range emphasis and a round, tubby-sounding low end to my ears.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that's exactly my impressions

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I swapped some tubes around in that purple Barney beast & it still bombed, oh well, not my thing either...

~S~

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Track 4 on Strays. I think it's called "Price I Pay"

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will look.

How does the Bottle Rocket compare to the V-twin?

Thanks again.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Don't recall the specifics, but when I A/B'd the two well over a year ago with TB'er Ben Strange, we both preferred the Bottle Rocket on bass. The V-Twin was still very good, but seemed a bit more voiced for guitar.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Thank you sir. Anything Mesa related coming from Ben Strange is to be trusted. Again thank you for the info. I think I have all I need.

16. Ive never used a vtwin, but i have used a bottle rocket...a bassist friend of mine had a vtwin or 2 and sold them rather quickly...hes very picky about his overdrive (as am i)...i had the bottle rocket for about a year before ditching it...it was pretty darn good, but in the long run it was TOO trebly for me..it was good, and i enjoyed using it while i had it, and if i hadnt discovered the HBE big-d, id still use it...speaking of HBE, im excited for their Hematoma to come out...considering how beefy the big-d is on bass, the hematoma should be somewhat of an earthquake...

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

What do you mean "too trebly"? And who is HBE?

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  19. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Like it's been said, I do think that the V-Twin is voiced more for guitar as it probably wasn't intended for bass. The EQ is still powerful enough to find a lot of good tones, though. I haven't tried the Bottle Rocket so I can't make a comparison.

If anyone's ever in my area and wants to try out the V-Twin, let me know. :)

20. I mean "too trebley" because even when i roll the treble knob off, the overdrive is REALLY searing...it lacks a lot of the midrange and open grittiness i prefer in my overdrive sound...id compare the sound of the bottle rocket (in my experience) to the hao rust ride's "Bright" setting...i couldnt exactly think of how to describe it other than "trebley"...still a good pedal tho, but if ur looking for something more open, gritty, and somewhat compressed sounding, its probably not for u