Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budding Rockstar (aka - my first show)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ambolina, May 17, 2004.

1. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks to everyone who gave me advice in the "sound & hearing yourself at gigs" thread - I had my first show ever last Thursday and it was a blast!

I'd already come to terms with the fact that there would be mistakes made and I wasn't going to worry about that; I just needed to have fun b/c that's what people like to see and no one would really notice mistakes anyway (which is true, three noticable mistakes went unnoticed, my band did a great job covering one flub and when I kept going one bar too long, on a song it just sounded like a cool bass ending to the song :) )

I took advice from my other thread and set up with the drummer on my left so I could see him (and so I wasn't as close to the crowd b/c there was no real stage). although I couldn't really see him b/c he was so far behind me. I had been nervous about singing and hitting my notes right and my friend who's been giving me some vocal coaching came over a little bit before the show and worked on the songs I was nervous about and pumped up my confidence and I ended up hiting everything right at the show. Including the one song I always sing a beat too early. I think it was the first time I really nailed it right. Yay.

Just wanted to share how much fun it was. I was only nervous the 10 minutes before we started. All our friends came out and we had the best following for the night (too bad it won't be like that all the time!). Nothing broke. The drunk heckler we had was funny and nice so that was good entertainment. I wasn't distracted by all the picture taking which I always assumed had to be disorienting with flashes going off in you face. Here are some of the pics my friend took if you're in a picture viewing mood:

http://www.singleclick.com/gallery/album219

And although the pictures don't support this, I didn't look at my fingers all night either! I was afraid I'd be nerous about getting distracted by looking up/making eyecontact which would make me lose track of what I was playing. But that was much easier than I thought.

And that is all. I'm looking forward to our next gig in a couple weeks and I love reading other peoples' experiences around here. Much more entertaining than doing my real work. =)~

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Sounds like ya had a great time. Congrats man, gigs are always a blast! Keep rockin'! :)

~Graeme

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Congrats. I remember that feeling. My first real gig was a highschool dance, and I remember how great it made me feel to know people were enjoying and dancing to my music. It's a real trip, and it never wears off.

If you ever take a tour up north let me know. I try to help newer bands get gigs up here.

4. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Ah Santa Cruz...I lived there for seven years and moved down here in 2002. How I miss it...

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's a nice place. Especially when you live by the beach :smug:

6. hey, san diego isn't too bad either... by the beach.. like me.. :cool:

7. My first show was one i would truly remember forever. it was behind a tattoo parlor. my bad had only been together for 3 months and had only 4 songs with no lyrics.. we needed a 10 song set list so we decided to cover the songs.. we knew about the show a week before it happend.. talk about short notice.. we had to practice everyday and it was crazy. We learned 6 songs in that week. and the day before the show we all stayed up all nighta nd wrote the lyrics to the origional songs.. well guess who got chosen to sing them.. Me.. I had some friends help me remember the lyrics before we went on.. buts ee.. we were supposed to go on at 4... well we didnt go on until about 7:30.. and it was 32 degreeze outside.. so my bad played without a sound check without any preperation. our fingers were frozen. and we were cold.. the crowd was cold and restless.. its actually really funny cause one thing went bad after the other.. first off the 1st songw e played my guitarists strap fell off, so we stopped playing and tried it agian. he then broke a string.. We couldnt hear our drummer so our timing was off.. it was awful. the PA was squeaking.. aweful.. well we stoppe din teh middle of our setand played the half after making some joes.. the crowd stared moving and pretty soon i was sweating.. it was great we then played our songs grealy and ended up in a nice moshpit.. it was pretty cool.. What im trying to say i guess is that.. if you **** up.. ust try to have fun.. Its awesome and the crowd gets teh feel.. its great.. Keep on Rocking On!

8. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    It looks like you were having fun, and that's what counts.
    I remember my first gig. The initial rush and nervousness is the most amazing feeling for about 10 minuites. having friends there to support is deffinately a plus.

Rock On!!

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    May you rockify with extreme rockification for many more years.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Congrats! My first gig was a disaster AND on live TV! :eek:

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i thought that only girls budded?