1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a bass VI from a squier bronco

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Thane, May 23, 2011.

1. Thane

Thane

Feb 27, 2010
    Do you think it's possible? Just having looked at them it seems like I would just need to find a six string bridge and drill new tuners and get a new nut cut.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I'll digress to the quote below.

3. Dude don't laugh in the guy's face, especially when he is right...

The nut on the bass IV was 1.5 (technically 1.550 i believe) and so is the bronco, both are 30" scale, and the bronco's pickup is the same size as a normal guitar single coil.

So I say go for it man, redrill that headstock after plugging the holes, get/make a new nut, and find a bridge you like. After all the bass VI just uses jag/jazzmaster hardware.

Be sure to post pictures when you're done. This shouldn't be a hard project and I'm excited to see the results

4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Owned.

5. Blind Dog

Blind Dog

Jun 19, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
  6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Didn't even think about the Fender VI, I was thinking the Steve Bailey Bass VI, not the 60's baritone...LOL

7. Blind Dog

Blind Dog

Jun 19, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
  8. Lol Musiclogic, I understand where you're coming from now! I was very confused as to why you thought you couldn't make this work, but it was an honest mistake, and I'm glad we can at least get a laugh out of it.

Yeah Blind Dog, something between a bass and baritone guitar, but when it comes down to it the idea just never really took off.

That being said, I hopefully have a shot at changing that. Can you say "Jazzbox", anyone?

9. From another thread on the offset forum.

10. Turns out it isn't all that hard (just takes money). I bought a Bronco yesterday for this very reason.

I fitted a tune-o-matic bridge, made it a string through, added a couple tuning machines from a donor, and carved out the nut from a fitted blank. Overall, for the value of the whole thing, I think it turned out great!

Attached Files:

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This is seriously cool. Subbing to the thread.

12. slotrod65

slotrod65

Dec 29, 2009
    subbed.

13. RobTheSkanker

RobTheSkanker

Aug 29, 2006
    Dundalk, MD
    ...and this is why I should not venture into the Luthier's forum.

I should have a new bass arriving later today, yet am now planning a new project.