1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a FenderJ Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by snetzz, May 4, 2010.

1. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    So starting to build my neck out of Maple and Pau Ferro. Can I use a standard hex nut hot-rod truss rod that will be adjusted from the neck pocket? and will I need reinforcing rods?

Also, do I need a 22" truss rod, or can I use the 18" hot-rods, which I have an abundance of.

2. Hi mate, good luck with your neck. check my thread on the 60 stack knob J style I'm building at the moment. you may find it useful.

Wes

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    18" is a guitar rod no meant for the length of a bass neck, and will be less effective on a bass neck. Stiffening rods are unnecessary with proper technique and wood grain, they are usually overkill.

4. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    @ steed basses
    thanks, your build journal is amazing.

@ Musiclogic
    that's what I thought, so I bought a dual action bass one from lmii.com.

But does anyone know of any good affordable tuning machines?

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Gotoh have never let me down and they're quite reasonable in price. I really like hipshots though, they're so purty...

6. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    I like purty, does Gotoh make elephant ear's?