1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building Walking Basslines Lesson 1

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pbassred, Jul 9, 2010.

1. I'm bored. Lets go. lets get as far as setting up and getting through lesson1. For MOST people its really simple. Tell you what though:- A copy of Soundforge is great for looping and changing speed.

2. Yes -- get the CD into your computer IMO much easier to call up individual tracks. If your copy is not spiral bound have it done at a print shop - cost $6 - and yes again, some software to help hear the bass. I'm using Audacity. Little intimidating at first, but, piece of cake once you get the routine down.

Looking forward to this. :hyper:

3. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Lesson 1 is up to?? How far into the book are we considering Lesson 1? Cause some of the first bit is review to some...

4. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Page 1 to what is lesson 1?

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Some thoughts...study & work on pages 1-20. That encompasses 14 tracks on the CD. Not sure if that is enough for Lesson 1, or not...

6. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    sounds good to me, I'll start chopin away :)

7. Let's get 'er done!

8. That takes us through Chromatic approaches - which I'm having to slow down and go slow with.

Sounds like a plan.

9. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Just got the book today.
    I want in this thread.
    Pg 1-20. ok

10. Pages 1-20 sound like a good idea to me.

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    New to Bass Clef - Reading?
    For 4 string players...

The Bass Clef translates directly to the top half of pg. 8. If there's any stumbling going on-with which notes are where on the bass clef- you gotta learn where they are on the neck, and the bass clef, simultaneously.

You can break down pg. 8 for faster learning, but you should be using all 7 frets within a few days! If you practice hours a day, it may register even faster in your brain!

Here's one way to jump start bass clef & location on the fretboard:

Notes on the Spaces-you can simplify for a couple of days-start with the first three frets while adding the B & D on frets 4 & 7 of the G string. After you are comfortable with those notes on the CD recordings, pick up the rest on the illustration (pg. 8).

Notes on the Lines-you can simplify for a couple of days-start with the first three frets while adding the C note on the G string (pg. 8).

Flatting the B on recordings 1 & 2? There are two Bb notes on the first three frets, learn where they are in relation to B, and practice Bb in the two positions for a day or two. Some of these ideas may get you started, and building confidence.

-John

12. Well... On page 13 (Yeah I know, I'm stuck on the first page...), is the B a B flat? The chord is a Bb but I thought they annotated that in the line (like he did on page 14 song <3>) or is it because there is a b in the key signature (I think it's called) that any flatted chord is automatically a flat.

I hope this makes sense...

13. A440Hz

A440Hz

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Digital Audio Developer, ScratchAudio.com
    If Bb is in the signature, all B notes are flatted unless they are naturaled-- and if one B in a measure is naturaled (really, if any note has an sharp/flat/natural in a measure), it stays that way for the whole measure. The next bar reverts to whatever's in the signature.

14. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    page 20.
    Exercise 13. 2nd bar ( Dmaj7) .
    Shouldnt the 3rd note (A) be labeled the 5th and not the Root? Typo?

15. Yes. It's a 5th not a root. Perhaps the typo is the measure should have two chords in it, i.e. Dmaj7 and A - probably A7 as everything else is a seventh of some type.

Typo gets my vote. Only Ed and the Shadow know for sure which typo it is.

16. Your question has merit. As A440Hz points out -- That B should be a Bb as the F scale has a Bb note not a B note. We are to just know that and adjust our playing automatically, i.e. one of those things I normally make pencil notations in the margin - and I did not do in this case LOL.

I missed this and took it to be a B note. In fact it should be a Bb.

Thanks for pointing that out.

17. Done the first lesson. I'm really liking this book so far. I like how it singles out every mechanism of walking, while I find that other books I've read attempt to summarize things a bit more.

18. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    Looks like a typo, i'm sure ed will let us know what its is meant to be... if you transpose the next progression (which is the same progression) looks like it's meant to be an Cm7.

19. I especially like Ed's use of the chord tone, i.e. R-5-8-5 etc. None of my other bass books did that. Most ever thing I play is from fake chord or lead sheet, i.e. there is no bass clef - so I really relate to this method. With my other books I would look at the standard notation and then pencil in the R-5-8-5, etc. Cuts down one step for me.

What do you guys mostly play from; standard notation or fake chord/lead sheet? Reason I ask finding sheet music with standard notation bass clef for the music I play is very hard. I'm trying to use (learn) both methods, but question the need to play Country from standard notation as the sheet music is all fake chord or lead sheet. Show me the chord name and I'll play a chord tone that fits. I can read standard notation, but when I play bass I think in chord tone interval numbers.

Would like to clear this up one way or the other. Ed, if you are around would appreciate some words of wisdom.

Thanks,

20. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    WAIT! Im worried. Are you saying its ok to just refer to the "R, 3, 5,7,8" listed below each note on the staff while doing the exercises in the book? Cause I can do that quite easily as I play these, but I realize that Im avoiding the practicing of "notes on the staff" reading, sight reading. Is that bad? Are we supposed to know how to sight read already to be on this thread? I think this book is good for beginners practicing sight reading from the staff which most TBrs agree is major importante. No? I think just refering to the R,3,5,7,8 is cheating.
    I do agree with you MalcomAmos on Country playing though. My folks raised me on Bluegrass and I was taught to think in those "chord tone intervals numbers"... and still do to this day.