1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building Walking Basslines Lesson 1

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pbassred, Jul 9, 2010.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Are we going at our own pace, or is there an "official" lesson? How long between lessons?

2. I would much appreciate a slow "official" pace. I feel I can get through the material fairly quickly however I may get stuck and I don't always get to play regularly.

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I had to spend a few hours in a waiting room this morning while my wife was having surgery. I took the book along with me as well as the recorded tracks on my iPod and reviewed quite a bit of it.

I had initially only looked at the first 20 or so pages, but got farther into today and am impressed by how quickly it moves into more interesting lines. Looks like a very systematic approach--I'm looking forward to working through it.

4. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    I agree this is a bit disorganized. Allow me to ask a few questions;

Is anyone confused about how to use the recordings?
    Does everyone have a Metronome? Need help finding a Metronome online?
    Can you follow the instructions on Page 6 to reliably find Beats 2 & 4?

This is a good opportunity to read music from a staff. Memorize the notes in the spaces on the Staff; A C E G - A good mnemonic for this is - All Cows Eat Grass
    Do the same for the lines on the Staff - G B D F. Does anyone know the 'classic' mnemonic for this? If you haven't noticed the spaces just above & below the Staff are F & B.

Does everyone understand the notation of Accidentals; #'s & b's? That 1 note can have more than 1 name? This is called "Enharmonic Notation".

Do you have questions about Chord Construction? Understand the difference between a Triad & an Arpeggio? Have you memorized the Chord List on Page 10? Can you find the notes for each Chord in the List on the staff in the Key of C on Page 9?

If you have questions about the material from Page 1 through Page 10, ask them in this sub-thread. That way you can find the answers to your questions easily, plus, others can see their questions have been asked, find the posted answers or ask for clarification. Relax, nobody is going to flame you if you post elsewhere. it will just make things a little easier. :cool:

Let's do the same Q & A with Pages 11 to 16, in a separate sub-thread, on Monday.

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, comfortable with the recordings and pg. 6 & have been setting this Yamaha metronome for beats 2, 4.

The theory I've managed to carry over from studying other instruments. GBDF=Good Bassists Deserve Fame. :D

Triads, arpeggios, and chord notes on pg. 9. Yes!
    Memorizing list pg. 10 - Working on it.

6. Not classic, but, help yourself if you like.

Every good boy does fine after church. This includes one line below and one line above the staff and I understand Every and church are ledger notes.

My mnemonic for notes on the spaces:
    Finally all cows eat grass before dawn. Again spaces below and above the staff.

Ledger notes were (are) hard for me so I included them in my mnemonic.

I've been known to pencil in the sharps and flats.........

Page 10 -- C minor seventh b5 (R-b3-b5-b7) and C diminished seventh (R-b3-b5-bb7) -- understand the concept doubt I'll ever need to get that detailed.

7. ArticulatedFeel

ArticulatedFeel

Dec 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure that's for treble clef. Now I don't own the book but I would assume it uses bass clef

EDIT- For bass clef you can use for the lines "Good Bassists Dont Forget Anything" and for the spaces "Always Create Excellent Grooves". I took both of those from studybass.com I believe. They helped me a lot when I was teaching myself to read.

8. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Long ago it was

Good Boys Do Fine Always
    All Cows Eat Grass

But over the years the gender and animal specific components of those mnemonics have been replaced with others more gender and animal neutral. Doesn't really matter what you use as long as you remember it.

We used to amuse ourselves by finding various inappropriate words to substitute :D

9. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    never mind.....

10. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    The 1st one didn't work for me. I read Great Big Ducks Fly Away once, and I never forgot it.

All Cows Eat Grass worked. As did Big Cats Eat Fish, when trying to remember where the half-steps were.

11. nboyer941

nboyer941

Jul 22, 2008
    Burnsville, MN
    will someone start this up please? what are we waiting for?

first thread-158 approach.
    second thread-chromatic approach
    next
    next

12. We do seem to have bogged down.
    Many feel having these lessons segmented would be better. If that will move us along, fine I started a string for Lesson 2.

13. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    would have been better to have the same person start all the threads. Easier to search for.

Also, by creating these threads TOO quickly due to whiners/complainers, you're going to ruin the experience for the people who need to go slowly. It's like shutting up a whiny kid by giving him everything he wants. Slippery slope, man. Notice how all the people who want to move at a fast pace haven't actually contributed anything useful?

14. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Sounds like you're getting frustrated.
    What can we do to help?

Ed's video for finding octaves on the fingerboard:

15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Since no-one has posted in that thread yet, let me make two suggestions:

1. Add "BWBL Lesson:" to the thread title. This will address a concern that someone raised elsewhere in this thread about making these threads easy to search for.

2. Limit the thread to pages 15-17 of the BWBL book, which deal with adding a fifth to the root and making step-wise approaches to the next chord. Ed deals with the topic of fifths and the introduction of chromatic approaches as separate topics, and I think that we should as well.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Comments like this are not going to be productive. There is no reason to get angry at people who want to move at a different pace. One advantage of having this type of exercise in a forum is that everyone can move at whatever pace is comfortable and productive. This is not a race. There is no prize for getting to the end of the book faster than someone else, and no issue with taking longer to make sure that you've gotten the full benefit of the lesson.

My suggestion, for everyone, is to stop posting about the pace, and start posting about the substance. I'm following this thread to answer whatever questions people have about the material, not to read post after post about the pace.

17. Yes! Ask question as you need to.
    Give answers if you can.

Forget about turning the pages together. I've never understood that need.

18. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Actually the Min7b5 turns up often in ii/V/I patterns approaching a minor chord & the Dim7 can indicate use of a Locrian Mode to the soloist. At a minimum, the Dim7 will show up in George Harrison's tunes. Make them part of your study plan & keep them handy.

19. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Thx, I can remember Good Bassists Deserve Fame!

20. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything is memorable.

I had something else to say about it but, can remember what it was ...

Thanks for the link to studybass.com. That's a nice resource.