Bullfrog Cabs Still a Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 6, 2019.

1. I've run across this:

Google Image Result for https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0211/13/bfi-bullfrog-ht1210-way-speaker_1_03b0d2afae7da18bb71cab2218212984.jpg

I don't know that this is a bass cab specifically, but I heard good things about Bullfrog 8 or 10 years ago, it was kind of a rediscovery made by someone in my locality. I know they're an 80s thing that never quite got past cult status.

I'm doing my usual summer reggae thing this year at our usual hotel in newport, RI, and it's a pretty lo-fi affair, but I'm kinda looking for something with a nice little punch to the belly that doesn't weigh 100 lbs. Any experience in the crowd here? I'm ready to offer the dude cheap $ for it. Thanks for your time.

2. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    That's not a bass cab.

3. Figured it's their pa cab... just read considering whether it would work anyway.

4. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    All the Bullfrog stuff I ever encountered seemed to be cheap, music store PA stuff, with poor construction and extremely inexpensive components. It's difficult for me to imagine that they would ever be any sort of 'find' unless it's as "best value in the $40 or less" category. Just my opinion, of course.

That box pictured is a bit of a PA mash-up; a 'four-way' box with a 15, a 12, a tiny horn and two of the very cheapest Motorola piezos. Definitely a music store product to be pedaled to the unsuspecting. I consider this sort of stuff only marginally better than the "studio monitors" that you can buy in a convenience store parking lot.

Edit: I actually followed the link to that Bullfrog speaker, and I was wrong about what I thought it was. It's a 12 and 10 rather than a 15 and 12. And it says it has Eminence cone drivers, although it doesn't say what models. So there's that. And it says it has independent level controls for the individual drivers, so that points to the existence of an actual crossover of some sort between the LF and MF drivers, which is more than I would have expected. As has been pointed out, it's definitely not a bass speaker...if I were going to try to use it as one, for whatever reason, I would just disconnect the horn and the piezos.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Count Bassie likes this.
  5. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    That would depend on which models they were. I had some Bullfrog PA cabs loaded with top of the line EV components that were killer cabs.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021