Burgera Veyrons VS Harley Benton block 800B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pegdrums, Apr 4, 2022.

1. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi all.

Im trying to choose a bass head. Had recently my eye on Ashdown RM 500 but budget has changed

I’m looking at the amps mentioned above
    Bugera 1001 M
    Bugera 1001 T
    Harley Benton Block 800b

they share a lot of the same features bar the tubes in the pre amp of the 1001t

whatever the exact wattage they are all plenty loud for me

my main question is about tone, and sound quality.

not really in a band yet, but have a wedding gig in a few months and am learning a lot of soul, Motown disco and will eventually learn slap.

Any real world experience on the sound of these amps is greatly appreciated

2. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi. I have had the Bugera 1001T and thought it was a very good amp. Definitely warmer sounding than the other two offerings. If you are going for a Motown sound, I’d recommend the Bugera 1001T.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I cannot speak for the T but I use the Mosfet version and it's never failed. I keep it clean and maintained but I use it with an Eden 410 and it'll "tote th' mail."

4. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    Thanks for replying! I appreciate the input

I think Im leaning towards the mosfet version based on price mainly. As a noob bass player (but years playing music in bands as a drummer) Im not sure Id appreciate the difference between the tube or tubeless version. Also tubes fail, get damaged, wear out etc so maybe that's something I don't need to be worrying about kicking off a new musical direction. I'll have enough to worry about remembering a whole set on the bass and how to get set up....stuff that was second nature as a drummer. Get some stage time in, do plenty of gigs first and then maybe go down that road.

Jonny Lee Long smashing it with a bugera Mosfet

Jonny lee long smashing it with a HB 800b.

Just goes to show I guess that at the end of the day if you're good it doesn't really matter what your playing you'll sound good!! Time I got back to practising!

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    So I picked up the mosfet version and have to say I absolutely love it. It's really well put together, sounds great, haas loads of features and even with the extended warranty and bag I bought for it the price was amazing.

ONLY gripe I can find at the moment is the master volume crackles when I turn it which I read other people had an issue with.

Is there a fix for this?

Arjank likes this.
  6. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    The master on my T crackles to, there's no easy fix I can think of. The crackle is only in the first quarter of the rotation and doesn't get worse over time so I don't mind. I'm very happy with this amp, excellent tone (much better then the TC BH250), versatile EQ and usable compressor (most build in compressors suck most of the time).

7. A temporary fix for crackly pots is to turn them backwards and forwards quite a few times until the crackle goes away. That usually works.

8. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    It will at least (temporary) minimize the louder cracks, this "fix" doesn't eliminate al crackles, at least not on my unit.

9. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    Yea I have tried the turning it up and down repeatedly and it only sorts it out temporarily.
    Is it an issue at a gig?

can that pot or whatever just be swapped out for another?

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The problem should be repaired under warranty by the manufacturer.

Arjank and Sparky Mark like this.
  11. I suppose it depends how often you adjust the master control on a gig as to whether it's an issue. I've got amps and basses with crackly pots but once set they're not an issue. They only crackle when being adjusted. With all the other noises happening in venues a bit of crackle shouldn't matter.

12. Agreed; crackly pots on a new amp is disappointing and it sounds like a common characteristic of these amps.
    (I haven't bought a brand new amp for nearly 15 years so a can of DeoxIT deals with my crackly pots when really necessary).

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Are you saying that it’s acceptable in a new amp?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  14. Absolutely not. But the amp is still giggable with a bit of crackle. The OP specifically asked whether it would be an issue on a gig. Whether noisy pots is an indicator of the overall quality of the amp and whether you'd be happy gigging it ( without a backup) is another question. Bugera amps are relatively low price; you pay your money and you take your choice.

15. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    Cheers all. Iya not enough of an issue for me to send it back and have it fixed under warranty, I’ve too much other stuff going on. If it gets worse I definitely will

I was kinda hoping it might be a case of a can of compressed air to blow out any dust or something but maybe that’s more for older amps.

Sparky Mark likes this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Don’t try to repair it yourself or you will find yourself without any warranty coverage.

17. It is new, you should not have to deal with this, send it back.
    This crackling will most likely get worse over time, take care of it now while it is under warranty/replacement time.

abarson likes this.
  18. pegdrums

pegdrums

Dec 29, 2016
    Cheers, might just send it back so.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Funny...I had that issue with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 some years ago. Sent it in to be 'cleaned' (Andy?). Got it back and the issue returned. I bought a used Markbass LMIII that had the issue. I turned the knobs back and forth for about an hour. Cleared it right up.

eff-clef, Mingo Sanders and Arjank like this.