Busted Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Instrument Pimp, Feb 17, 2004.

1. undefined Okay, here's my problem, I just got some brand new ribbon wound strings for my Dean Acoustic/Electric 4-string performer bass, and as I was putting them on, the nut snapped off on the corner. Apparently, I should have checked to make sure that the strings would actually fit in the grooves in the nut. What I desperately need now is for someone to tell me where I could get ahold of a new one. I already emailed the Dean company to see if they could help me out, but they haven't got back to me yet. Anybody have some advice?
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I thought this tread was about something else :p

But seriously, probably waiting for Dean's email will be your best bet.. but you should check around some local music shops to see if they have what you're looking for.
  3. [​IMG]

"Increases intimate longevity"
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ROFFLES! Hahaha! That's hillarious!
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    hehe....he *Butthead voice on* You said Nut * Butthead voice off* Wow I totally felt like I was 15 again when I read the title to this thread. Dean will know best, but I'm sure you can have a new one put on by a local shop if all else fails for rather cheap.
  6. velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I just came up from my workshop in the basement having just fitted a new nut on my AEB...same story...most of the sub-$500 models use these d@mn hollow plastic nuts. First odd movement or pressure and POW!! there goes the end of it accross the room.
    I bought a pre-cut replacement and spent about 2 hrs getting it set up just the way I like. Nut cost $2.
    Local shop quoted me $40 total...not a bad price for the work involved...I'd just rather do it myself.
    Of course, YMMV ;)
  7. Okay, since I probably won't want this to happen again, what would I have to do to get a brass nut? My custom Polaris has one and I'm pretty sure that I'll never have to worry about that breaking... anybody know where I could get ahold of one?
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you have a luthier to install it, or you do it yourself, you can get them from warmoth
  9. ABG are designed much different then an electric bass, you most likely will need to choose another type of nut, beside brass. You have many choices, here are a few!

Bone Nut
    Vintage Bone Nut
    Micarta Nut
    Graph Tech Nut
    Tusq Nut

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Busted nut? Shouldnt this go to off-topic or humor... ;)
    I'm with saetia, Beavis&Butthead come to my mind ... hehheh ... heheheh ... good thing that there is B&B once again after the Friday rocks on VH1 :smug:

So to be a bit more serious...
    Any reputable technician/instrument repairer/luthier will do a nice job - for a price.

The brass nut might work - my teacher has an ac/el bass with a zero fret, (that is close to what that is) and it works. But many other things work, as well - graphite is a tried-and-true nut material on many basses.
  11. Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. Dean guitars just e-mailed me back and said that they'd replace the nut for free. No shipping, no nothing. I always love it when guitar companies actually stand behind their products... And also, I swear on whatever you want me to that I didn't even think about the other meaning of "busted nut". Some of you guys are just sick! :)
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  13. Can some people give me quotes on nut replacement jobs? My friend broke his the same way when he put really tense flats into his P and I'm gonna probably take it in to the shop for him while he's on vacation next week.
  14. The only problem is that this would cross the line into forbidden commercial territory. If someone says that they can do the work, it would be better to contact them via PM to avoid having the discussion closed for a rules violation.
  15. Ahh, I just wanted to know about how much a changed nut might run me. Sorry bout that.
  16. go with the brass nut, those are nice. I got a custom carved one from a luthier in cali when i lived there. It was like 50 dollars, and its nice. Any local luthier should be able to do it.