1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Busted PA speaker. Worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rmkesler, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I just swapped out a 15" Peavey speaker that got blown recently. It's not a Black Widow so I imagine it's one of their generic models. Is it worth fixing a blown PA speaker? With replacements around $100 they seem disposable.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Replace it with something better that sounds better and won't blow up so easily.

3. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I've already replaced the blown speaker. The question is should I thrown the blown one away or get it fixed?

4. Take it to someone you trust, If the speaker is worth it to fix they would tell you and fix it, if not they will have something better.

5. Hi.

^This.

There's no way to tell the condition of the basket or the gap over the 'net, so the best option is to take it to someone who knows.

Posting the code from the cone might help to determine whether a re-cone kit is available or not.

Regards
    Sam

6. worth at least taking to a speaker pro -- they'll normally tell you yes/no if it's worthy

7. Scorpion = Yes (within reason, plus you can probably do it yourself since the baskets are field replaceable). Sheffield or no-name = probably not, unless very cheap. As others have stated, your friendly speaker geek can advise.

Did you use an exact replacement driver? Sometimes using non-stock speakers in a given enclosure can be counterproductive due to tuning issues, even if the new speaker is "better".

8. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    this is a perfect opportunity to upgrade yor speaker.
    IMHO reconing is a better option for speakers that are difficult to replace (i.e.vintage)

9. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    I'd pitch it. With there being so many good quality replacement speakers out there (P-Audio, Carvin, RCF, etc) I would bother.

If you want a good back up, keep your eyes peeled on CL or Ebay for a good deal on a used JBL. Make sure you look the model up on google to make sure it is rated for bass guitar or pro PA use.

I pick them up for around $50-$75 anytime I need one.

10. There's good deals on Craigslist from time to time... right now there's a 15" Eminence Delta up for $50, it's like a $150 speaker. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled.