1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buying a combo. what to check for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Mar 13, 2009.

1. i found this peavy max 115 combo, liked its sound a lot. am going to buy it tomorrow. what all should i really check for before i bring it home? as in stuff to check for any damage inside or on the speaker or something like it?

thanks,
    Varun

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If it works, and sounds good at all volume settings, it's prolly fine. Good luck.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'd check to see if it says Genz Benz before I bought a combo. ;)

Seriously, if it all works, sounds good to you, there are no obvious signs of abuse, and the price is right, you're fine.

I've tried those and for what they are it's a nice amp.

4. great!

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just a few things in general to check before buying any combo...

1. It's adequate for your application, can get low enough as well as loud enough. Does it have "your" tone?
    2. It will fit in your vehicle of choice.
    3. Try carrying it 100 feet. Is that going to work for you or does it need to be lighter?

6. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I suggest you set the volume at adequate plus a little and play every note on your bass's fingerboard, slowly. Listen carefully. Speaker problems might show up.

7. got it!
    [​IMG]

8. Looks new..... great job.

9. thanks :D

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    #3 is what keeps the Shuttle 3.0 as my "rig' of choice.

11. this is a heavy frickin combo and i hate the fact that it has no handles on the sides but since i wont be moving it at all it doesnt really bother me

12. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    I have its little brother the 12" model. I use it at home with my acoustic bass, Great sound for the price!