1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a digital camera help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 12, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hey all,

I've got some bad news. I borrowed my older sister's digital camera and left it in my friends car and it fell out when I got out, or when someone else did. (People in the car after me and him, his mother, and his girlfriend)

So now I have to replace it. It was an old digital camera thats a few years old (I'd say around 4) and she paid $800 for it at the time. I think it was a Canon powershot but I'm probably wrong.

So I'm looking for a good digital camera in the $1-300. The closer to $200 the better as I just bought a new bass today and now I'm almost broke.

Help me TB!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of features are you looking for? From what it sounds like it might be a Powershot A series camera... not too loaded with features, not too portable either.

My advice, check out a Canon Powershot SD1000... for about $200 you can have 8.1 or so megapixels, 3.0x optical zoom, and great battery life, reliability, and portability.

My $0.02

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    In terms of features the camera had, it had a pretty ok zoom (not great or too terrible) and could take videos as well. It also had the little digital screen where you could see what you were looking at, review your pictures, and play back your movies minus the sound.

And it was pretty darn bulky as well.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, the SD1000 can do all that and play back movies WITH sound. ;)

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm sold. One question, how long can it tape a video? Up until it runs out of memory or is there a limit?

I know nothing about cameras, but tomorrow its off to the bank to withdraw the last of my funds.

I'll PM the Crusader and ask for an extension on sending in the GTG money.

6. Last month I bought a Kodak Z712 for $188, and I like it pretty well so far. I was looking for something with a 10x optical zoom or better, and this was maybe the best option for the price. It's too large to fit in a pocket, so if that's a consideration you should find something else.

7. +1 on the SD1000, I got it this past December and it has been great so far.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The one I lost is a huge clunker of a camera. Does the Kodak take videos?

I don't wanna get my sister a bad camera.

9. Yes it takes videos, 640x480 until the memory card is full. (About 30 minutes worth on a 1GB card). And this camera isn't a huge clunker, just not pocket sized. That's the tradeoff when you want a strong zoom. Lots of details here.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/z712is-review/