Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzz from hipshot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shatner, Sep 24, 2004.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Hi everyone.
    I have a hipshot detuner fitted on both my Marcus Miller Fender Jazz and my old Ibanez SR1000 and since fitting them there has been a fairly high amount of buzz on the E string of both. The buzz is pretty consistent up the string and not present on the other strings so I'm quite sure it isn't a truss rod thing.
    I do cut the strings down a little so could this be the problem (I only just thought of that). However I don't cut them down THAT much.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Also, as a secondary problem, the Marcus is absolutely great but I do have a problem with the E string when I slap. It tends to give me more of a bang than a defined slap. Again, the other strings are fine.

Thanks
    Mark

2. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Just put on some new strings and wrapped the E string about 4/5 times round and the buzz is still there so it can't be that. Yes, it is definitely fretbuzz and yes the bass is set up fine. The other strings are OK. There is a tiny bit of buzz but only when I play very, very hard.
    Plus, the E string was fine until I put the hipshot on. It is the same thing on both the Ibanez and the Marcus.
    I've been getting by now for about 4 months playing at least 3 sets a night so I guess I can get by in the future. It's just annoying. The hipshot is working fine and is an absolute god send in the band when I have to play slap stuff in Eb during loud outdoor sets so I don't want to get rid of it.
    I will soon be taking it to the local luthier to have a look at so maybe he will figure it out.
    Anybody else had this happen?
    Mark