1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz killingtin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matty4string, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. matty4string

matty4string Banned

May 11, 2016
    Since I started playing bass I have always had a heavy hand. In turn this has given me lots of dreaded fretbuzz. I find that unless my action at the 17th fret is 7/64 I get loads of buzz up and down the neck. Wen I set it to 7/64 at the 12th with .012 relief I get no buzz unless digging in deep. I don't mind to much playing with slightly higher action. Sometimes though when I try to learn a new fast song I feel the height holds me back a bit. Fenders specs for a jazz bass is 6/64 at the 17 fret. So it's not to much More than that but it feals like it when I play someone else's bass but I can't without the buzz. Any suggestions on technique setup or any other helpful tips would be much appreciated. Thanks ps how heigh is your strings at the 17 fret and how much relief do you use?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    How many basses do you have? Can you set one up with a nice low action to be used just for learning new material? You already know what the real problem is, you don't need us strafing you on that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. matty4string

matty4string Banned

May 11, 2016
    What's the real problem my technique

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Your attitude. 7/64ths isn't terribly high in my opinion. Mine is 5 or 6/64ths I consider that low, and I don't dig in.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Just remember that the lighter your touch, the faster you can potentially play.