Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzz when letting up

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by greitzer, Oct 31, 2003.

1. When playing pizz, if I hit just about any closed note on the A or D strings, then let up (lift my finger up off the string to stop the note), it buzzes. It's worst (most pronounced) on the A string. It sounds like the buzz is happening right at the note point on the string that I'm letting up. It happens just a tad with the G and E strings. I'm using Pirastro Flat Chromesteel strings. I don't recall this happening with previous strings I've used. I have an adjustable bridge. Any thoughts on this?

2. The only things I can offer are: Check that the nut is seated properly. Check that the bridge doesn't have any rough edges around the notches. Or that you have a bad batch of strings.
    Stuff like this is frustrating...Any radical jumps in humidity?
    And of course, check your finger board with a straight edge for humps and dips.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I just tried several basses in my shop, and every one buzzes the way you describe. It's normal. New strings exascerbate it though, because they are brighter. Try damping with your right hand.

4. Thanks Paul and Arnold both for your suggestions. I'll see if I can spot anything on the fingerboard, and if not, I'll see if the problem lessens as the strings work themselves in. I have been damping with the right hand, as Arnold suggests, as this is about all I can think of to do at the moment. Thanks again.