Cab Casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, Oct 15, 2003.

1. today... i ventured into the wierd world of putting casters on my BagEnd Q10BX-D.

Holy crap.. first, drilling holes... then having to rip through the 2 inches of insulation inside my cab, with 1 hand inside the cab, where the hole was juuuuuust big enough for my friend's tiny arm to fit into. I used a nut and bolt method as oppose to screws (it's not like i want them to rip out of the cab while i'm rolling it.) They look awesome now that i'm done, and it's sooo much better, and easier to move, but there's 1 problem...

After putting them on without drilling through my speakers, i figured i was out of the woods. Now that they're on there though, i now see a flaw in my design. I had to put the fron casters back a bit from the edge so that i didn't hit my drivers inside the box, bit now the front of the cab is waaaay heavier than the back, and it tips over forewards easily.

i'm thinking of drilling in a couple of rubber feet, so that if the cab does fall foreward, it won't go anywhere. Sound like a good plan? any other suggestions that would be better?

Yes, i'm probably retarted for putting casters on in the first place... but i figure my back is more expensive than the insulation...

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow casters were the smartest thing i did to my old 4x10. I actually increased the resale value when i traded it in. I got the removable kind which worked out waaaay better. I used screws and it took me maybe a half an hour and worked like a dream for 4 years. Maybe the whole bolt thing was what was giving u problems. Yea rubber feet sound like they may alleviate your problem, or maybe some plastic skid rails like i have on my ampeg cab.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Next time, measure the thickness of the wood you are drilling. Then apply a piece of masking tape to your drill bit about a 1/16th" of beyond the wood thickness to warn you when you are all the way through the wood. I would be very careful if the cab is prone to falling forward. It will be even more prone to tip with an amp stacked on top of it.

To solve your current problem, measure from the bottom of the cab to the ground in front of the casters and cut 2 blocks of wood to the same size. Place the blocks in front of the casters when you get to a gig. I would think permanent rubber feet will rub along the ground when you are moving the cab.

Or, the best way is to remove the front casters and take out the bottom speakers and install the casters in the correct position. You will have to plug the old holes also.
  4. If i was to put rubber feet, i'd have them so that they were maybe a 1/2 inch from the bottom, so that i'd still have room when rolling the cab, so they wouldn't touch the ground.

Those skid rails sound like an awesome idea, i'll derfinately look into those!!
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what I was going to say. Murphy's law - if it can tip, it will eventually.
  6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Since you already have your bolt throughs mounted for strength, add some screw on casters at the front. If they get ripped off while gigging you can still roll it around until you can screw it back in.