Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab for BEAD tuning...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frigo, Oct 11, 2004.

1. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    Hi!
    I got this AMPEG SVT CL head, and i'm using it on my Marshall Dynamic bass system 7410 (4x10" 800w) cab. Now i noticed that on the low notes (we play BEAD tuned) the speakers distort quite a bit if i go for example gain 50% volume 50%. I was wondering if this could be because of the 10" speakers on this low tuning and i would need a 4x12", and i was also looking for sugestions on the cabs. I like the mesa boogie powerhouse 1000 (1x15" and 4x10" 1000w cab), but they don't import it here in italy, so i thought of adding a 4x12" 400w marshall VBA to mine. Anyoune experienced problems with this cabs? (my 9 years old 4x10" included....)
    thanx guys.
    p.s.: i am not looking for an8x10" because is pratically impossible to take that back home after gigs half p...ed ;)

2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    suggestions? anyone? :D

3. 2x15 cab.

4. 2x15 works great, 1x15+1x18 would be killer too. If you have any yorkville dealers around try out their stuff. If not try some SWR.

what type of music do you play? what type of tone do you look for? SWR and Yorkville products give a tone that to my ears is bliss but it might sound like a cat being shaken around in a box of nails to another person.

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    lol @ the cat!
    we play kind of crossover like T()()L... with lots changes of rhythm psychedelic parts, monster riffs, melodic (but not too much) parts.
    i use a head rush2 delay a big muff, a turbo rat, an ebs chorus and an old boss bass flanger..
    i'll look for yorkville... don't actually know if they import it here.. actually never heard about
    thanks for now!

6. What about Mark Bass? Made in Italy right? High quality from my understanding but maybe over your budget.

I personally love Yorkville because it's made in Canada and fixed in Canada,.................... I'm in Canada. :)

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd go for a 2X12 or 4X12. I'm through with 15's forever and an 8X10 is the size of a refrigerator.

8. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    mark bass is ok! i got one 1x12" for small clubs, and it plays like a dream... they are also very light. imagine a 6x10" weighs 38 kg!!! (like my ampeg head) the problem with it is that right now they made only 8 and 6 ohms cabs, and my head works at 4 and 2 ohms... another good thing is that they're not really expensive...

and Squidfinger, i agree with you. I am also oriented to go for a 4x12" and tonight i'll check my friend's marshall 4x12" to see how it sounds...
    i'll keep ya informed!