Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab for Low B String--

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fremenblue, Jun 13, 2004.

1. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Tell me about your kickass cab you play a low B through! Here's your chance for you to brag and me to learn. ;)

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My most satisfying rigs for reproducing the low B are either:

One Accugroove Whappo, Jr.
    Two EA VL-210's, or
    Three EA VL-208's

Or any combination thereof, of course.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hartke 4.5 XL
    Basson B15b
    Acme LowB2 (favorite because of weight)

4. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    2 Acme Low B2's... Devastating!

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    what is the average prices of the accugrooves?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pretty darn high, unfortunately. Although they are, indeed, manufactured in a much more labor intensive and detailed manner, what with the individual internal compartments and all.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just bought a Hartke 4.5XL and it is the most B string friendly of my flock. The weight (about 100 lbs) is a killer for me though...

I had an Acme B2 and it does an excellent job, but the band was too loud (even with an EVM 15 for support) so off it went. There is a recent thread about a pair of B4s on a QSC PLX3402 power amp. The pair of B4s has me intrigued...but then there's the weight issue again.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Bergantino cabs. They sound great besides handle the low B. The ht322 is about $180 more than a swr 410 and has individual compartments as well.

9. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    My lows are handled by an SWR Big Ben. In combination with the Goliath Senior I have, this is a pretty deadly combination and definitely puts the lows right out there.

I do hear that the Acme cabs, and the Accugrooves are the way to go for truly hi-fi (by that I mean flat frequency response) sound.

10. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Hmmm. . .so far no Eden users. I have a 1x15 Eden and 4x10 Bag End. I'll see how those work when the bass gets here. I notice NOBODY is using an 1x18 these days. Oddly enough, on my little Pandora's Box that's the cab simulator I find I like best. :meh:

11. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Of my various cabs, the Eden 115XLT is prescribed for the low-B.

12. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm using a 1x18 SWR Big Ben...

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Another vote for a pair of Acme low B2s. They are portable yet destructive. Together they have one more midrange speaker than a single B4, so you should get a little more definition along with the thunder. A pair of B4s ... OMG!

14. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, hell. . ..maybe I'm worrying needlessly then. I'm not sure if mine is an XLT, but it's a 1x15 and fairly deep-bodied. Not a little extension cab anyway. .. came with pop-offs.

15. Another vote for Acme Low B2. One pair is astounding. Two pairs (4 cabs) are better still!

16. 2 Hartke 4x10 XLs w a Hartke 7000 + Roscoe SKB3006.
    The B string is pure thunder, yet has crisp tone and body.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

HA! i say...

try a B-4, and you tell me what's devastating! ;) but as much as the two B2's sound great, i personally think the B-4 enclosure is much tighter and punchier overall, but prolly just me.

seriously, just AWESOME chewy thick, punchin' low B action like no other. :bassist:

and where the heck is Guyplaysbass?!

18. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have never tried a B4. I am sure it kicks serious butt. I have tried the B1 and the B2 and love both of 'em. But the flexibility and the extra mid/tweeter of the 2 B2's is awesome.Of course 2 B4s would freakin' rule, but I don't have any roadies!

19. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    YOU, sir, get points for sportin' the eighteen. Very cool!

20. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm currently using an Eminence Kilomax 18" in a 7 cubic foot vented cab, biamped with a 2x10 for highs...........sounds fantastic, but the size is a hassle, so I've got a pair of Acme B2's on the way.