Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Placement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    i was wondering how everybody stacks there cabs and if it helped the sound, like for instance, a 4x10 on the bottom with a 15 on top?
    or both on the ground,
    does it help with the overall sound(more punch, closer to your ears)
    I just want to know how people setup their setup

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sure that there are folks here that would arrange them in each possible way...

Personally, I'd put the 4x10 on top of the 1x15 leaving the 1x15 to couple with the floor for enhance low end and the 10s (and if so equipped) the tweeter up by ear level.

I'm sure that there are valid reasons for going side by side, tens on top, 1x15 on your side, 4x10 on the guitarist's side, etc.

In other words...it's all good!!!!

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    point taken

4. I usually stack a 4x10 on top of a 115 unless I'm going to be standing close to my rig. Then I'll find a space for both of them on the ground so I don't go deaf!

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I've placed them both ways. Sometimes depending on the size of the room, I found it advantageous to go side-to-side for an "acoustic coupling" effect. Didn't notice it much on stage, but the sound man found the difference to be huge. At the time our PA wasn't fully developed and needed reinforcement from the backline. Now we have a better PA package with subs that handle that. Now, more often than not, I don't need all that. Just either use my 4x10 or 1-15 independantly. Actually, I'm about ready to move to a 2x10 for our smaller venues. That will leave me fully capable for anything I forsee myself doing until I assume room temperature! Take care and good luck.

Cheers

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I like to keep a cab up as high as possible, so I can hear it clearly and keep the level as low as possible to make the soundman happy. Two 4x10's stacked accomplishes this, but for smaller stages where I use only one, I stack it on top of its road case to get it up there.

Even when I use both 4x10's, I always have difficulty hearing definition when they are both on the ground.

7. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    PLaying with a single 8x10 eliminates any thought involved as the only option is standing it up like it was designed, or setting it down on its side and having to dead lift 160lbs after the show. :eek:

Needless to say it usually stays upright.