Cab project is completed, and sounds great!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edword, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I bought an old Traynor YT-15 a few weeks ago. It's kind of on the small side for a 2x15.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/joe_jr_bucket/215_v4.jpg

The speakers weren't the originals, and certainly couldn't handle the V-4 I was playing through them. I looked around for replacements, and got interested in the Eminence Legend CB15. I noticed that the interior volume of my cab matched up fairly well with one of Eminence's CB15 vented cabinet designs that uses 1 speaker instead of 2.

Just for grins I ordered a CB15, some sheets of 1" acoustic foam, a couple of port tubes (sized to the design specs), and some speaker gasketing tape. Then I got a 16"x16" piece of plywood, and made some holes in it for the port tubes.

I removed the old speakers from the YT-15, then lined the inside of the cab with the acoustic foam (after which the inside volume of the cab was even closer to the Eminence design). I installed the port tubes into the plywood, and bolted it over the bottom speaker opening (using the existing bolts and threaded holes), after putting gasketing tape all around the opening. Finally I installed the CB15 in the top speaker opening.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/joe_jr_bucket/Tray_215_mod.jpg

What a difference! I realize this is a fairly uneducated way to "mod" a cab, but it seems to be a lot louder now, and with a much greater range of tones than before. I'm digging it! I put it all back together so that it looks the same as before, and I'm waiting to see if the guys I jam with will notice a difference.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/joe_jr_bucket/Tray_215_mod_v4.jpg

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Everybody's got to start somewhere : }

What did you do to determine porting/tuning?

Hey - you have enough room in one of the corners to probably add a 6.5" midrange!

3. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    The port numbers came from the Eminence specs (Legend CB15 Medium Vented Bass Guitar Cabinet), unless I misinterpreted it looks like there should be two 4" dia. ports:

http://eminence.com/pdf/cab-legend-cb15.pdf

At any rate it sounds better and I had a blast doing it, so it was worth it to me. If I follow my usual pattern, I'll start goofing around with it again in about four days.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, good job. Think about adding a midrange - the Carvin/Em OEM one is nice, but would need a sub-enclosure (a couple of small internal walls, or a cup). The Em closed-back drivers don't sound as good because there's too much internal reflection from that super-close back - they are peaky as heck.

5. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

You've got me thinking about it!

6. GlennW

GlennW Inactive

Sep 6, 2006
    That's pretty slick. Was the cab originally completely closed?

7. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

Yes, it was a sealed cab.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    AWESOME! breath some life back into that old dog with modern drivers!

You project was the scaled up version of my peavey 210 --> 110 neo mod!

Anyway, great re-use.

9. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Hmmm. I have the same cab sitting around with tired old drivers in it. Might have to give this some thought!

11. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

; )

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

13. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

14. Thanks for posting this! Seems to me that it is a much more cost effective way to make use of this old box....
    Fishheadjoe

15. Interesting! They use a closed back 6 in the Berg 2-15. I know Jim has them tweak them to spec, but how does a wood box compare??