1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Cab Sensitivity": what's it mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goose72, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    the title says it all ladies and gents...

what should i look for when purchasing a cab?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A sensitive cab cries easier! And a really insensitive cab may refuse to play your notes and tell you to go away. So you want something in between ;)

But really, a more sensitive cab will be louder at a given power level. Euphonic Audio has a good description here: http://www.eaamps.com/2005/technology/sens_kevlar.htm

In practical terms? It only really matters if you are trying to reduce the size of your rig. A sensitive cab (or two) allows for a smaller amp, all things being equal.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Unfortunately there is no industry wide standard by which sensitivity figures are arrived at, so in far too many cases the published specs are meaningless.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Exactly, if someone published honest numbers, their cab wouldn't look to good compared to the others and you'd probably pass on it. In a perfect world, sensitivity ratings would tell you how much SPL (sound/volume) the cab would produce with a given amount of input power. Ex: A cab with higher sensitivity would sound louder than one with a lower rating using the same size amp. In bass speakers, sensitivity below 100 or 200hz is what you really need to know and nobody publishes that except Bill F. from the previous post and a couple others, that's it, none of the major manufacturers that I know of.

5. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Definitely true. A sensitivity graph correlating sensitivity and frequency would be very useful. Much more than just a simple number. I think WinISD will give you just that.

However, I think the typical test parameter is 1 Watt at 1 Meter at 1 KHz.