Cab Wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RooseOnBass, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RooseOnBass

RooseOnBass

Jul 1, 2011
    Is this the correct connecting up of an Ashdown ABM 500 RC Evo II head paired with an Ashdown MAG 410T cab (450w) and MAG 115 Deep cab (250w)

Both cabs are 8ohms. Do I have this connected in series or parallel? I want a 4ohms load, not 16ohms which people say certain wiring can do. Obviously I don't want the smaller cab being overpowered you see.

Thanks IMG_9605.JPG IMG_9606.JPG IMG_9606.JPG

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Since both cabs are 8 ohms, the connection you have is a 4 ohm load as far as the amp is concerned.

Plastalmonus likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You’ll have to listen carefully for signs of distress from the 15. Rated at nearly half the power of the 4x10 it will be a limiting factor in your system's performance. After 500W the 15 will be over powered whilst the 4x10 will be barely cruising. It’s why the pairing is a poor one.

kap'n kro likes this.
  4. RooseOnBass

RooseOnBass

Jul 1, 2011
    Since when has it ever worked like that

5. RooseOnBass

RooseOnBass

Jul 1, 2011
    Wasn't my question anyway, was it? The 115 won't reach that point because it'll never be bring overpowered, as it's used for live settings only with microphones and a PA

Sparky Mark likes this.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It works that way due to the laws of Physics. With both cabinets being 8Ω the available power will be split equally between them. A 500W rated amplifier is very much capable of way more distorted.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I decided to inform you of the possible pitfalls of mixing cabinets. If you object to my well intended post then do what you want! :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The connection looks right, the positioning not so much. The speakers are in parallel. Without a series box or special cable, no configuration of wiring will put them in series.

9. RooseOnBass

RooseOnBass

Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah the positioning wasn't to stay that way to actually be played.

10. If you are thinking that it is a total of 5 speakers that will split the power evenly, then you are wrong (if not, then sorry, but it has come up before).

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The connections look right. If the size of the boxes will allow you, I suggest putting the 115 on top of the 410 when you use them both . This way, if you do get into a situation that the rig is being pushed hard, you will be more likely to hear the 115 struggling before anything bad happens.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021