1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet load

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndrly, Apr 20, 2009.

1. So a cabinet has to be either equal to or exceed the wattage of the amplifier.

I admit I am a bit of a noob, but will using two cabinets, with the combined output exceeding the amplifier wattage, be a safe load?

I'm thinking of trying out a bi-amped setup with a solid state power amplifier for the low end. As an example, will one 18" cabinet at 400 watts, combined with a 15" cabinet at 350 provide a safe load for a 750 watt amplifier?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi ndrly.

It is a good idea to use speakers which can handle more wattage than an amplifier can put out.

You may wish to download and study the user's manuals for the gear which you are contemplating in order to better understand how this equipment can meet your needs.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I disagree. MANY players use heads that put out more wattage than a cabinet is "rated" for. For example, look at the Epifani site.

Picking out what is probably their most popular cab, the UL410.
    The RMS wattage rating is 1000. They suggest powering the cabinet with 400 to 2000 watts. An amplifier does NOT put out its stated wattage all the time.

As long as you aren't really pushing your amplifier, you are safe using a cab rated for about half your head's stated wattage.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. A range of 2:1 to 1:2 is fine.
    A 'safe load' refers to impedance, power ratings are immaterial. As for using an 18 and 15 together, reconsider. An 18 and 2x10 is far better.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    True.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Perhaps a bit more research is in order. And the 18 plus 15 set up might also be reconsidered. Too much bad information from the OP to even start slicing it up for discussion, but as said, the wattage ratings on a cab have little to do with how much power to feed them, or what might sound good. Best of luck, but seriously, read more, ask more questions, and almost forgot, biamping is a thing of the past, mostly, and requires things that aren't common to most amps.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Yes but consider the event of the guitar player (it's always the guitar player!) knocking your bass over and leading to feedback. You can blow a cabinet in short order with an accident like this.

Paul

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, I suppose that's possible, but it's not really a reason to not do what hundreds of pro and semi pro bass players do every day, and pro sound professionals, like Bill Fitzmaurice, concur is fine. Frankly, I'd be a bit more concerned about damage to my bass neck in that scenario.

9. That would be just for the low end. The high end would preferably go to a tube amp which then connects to something like an 8x10 or 4x10.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Low end, high end, whatever, there's absolutely no benefit to using an 18 and a 15 together.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    An 18, a 15, an 8x10 and two heads . . . what kind of venues are you playing and who is going to move all of this around for you?

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Apparently stadiums. I'll never understand the "many cab" thing either. You can do probably 99.9 percent of all gigs on earth with a 410 or less, and I can't imagine carrying two or three massive cabs just to look cool.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Biggest +1 I've ever plus'd. I must say again, do some research, and figure out what it is you want, then come back with questions.

14. i always over power my cabs. unless im using my tube head i will run as much wattage as possible. its not like im turning the amp up all the way its just putting out clean power.

15. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Hmmm ... good point. Better double that cab.
    Now what if he dumps a beer into it?

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Agreed.

On top of that, a lot of the "many cabs" rigs you see have horribly mismatched cabs, where one cab invariably overpowers the others and you're essentially getting that cab's voice and not much else.

17. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A guitar player friend did just that - to my brand spanking new mixer. Hey he's a good guy, he bought me another.

Paul

18. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    May I draw your attention to this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538090

Paul

19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'm guessing that your band is pretty loud.

20. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I dunno. Since I personally don't like 18's & 15's, your rig sounds way too monster for me. If you are going to biamp, maybe just use one cab for low end, and one for high. A 115 and a 210 would make a nice set up.

Many modern 210 cabs will handle tons of power, and give you great tone in a light weight package. For gigs, I use either a Genz Benz NeoX 210, or an Aguilar GS 212. Unless you really need a work out, or just like standing in front of a wall, save your back and think about something else. If you must have a monster rig, just keep in mind the minimum ohms that can be connected to your amp.