Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinet rewiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, May 24, 2004.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

i plan on rewitring my 8 ohm peavey 410 TX to 4 ohms. How would I go about doing this? I know I should do a search but I figured I'd shoot this out as well. Any advice would really helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can't...

Assuming the speakers in the 410TX are 8 ohms, common interconnections will leave you with either 32 ohms or 8 ohms.

To change to 4 ohms, you'd need four 4 ohm or 16 ohm woofers....can't get there with 8s....sorry.

Why do you want to do this anyway? To get more power out of your amp?

If that's the reason, you'd be better of staying where you are. In general, it takes twice the power to make a noticable difference in loudness. If your amp doesn't put out twice as much power at 4 ohms as it does at 8 ohms, then you might not hear a difference anyway. Besides, with an 8 ohm load, your amp will run cooler and you'll have more headroom since the power supply is taxed less.

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

dang. Looks like i'll be looking around for a new cab then. :D thanks Bill.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Scotty...make sure you read the stuff I added later...

5. Maybe the moderators should consider making this a sticky: You Can't Rewire Your Cab to get x Ohms

I mean, this question pops up at least twice a week....