1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cable input shorting

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guitardefector, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hello TB community. Can anyone tell me why my cable input on my Peavey Fury bass is occasionally cutting off and staticky? It also scares the hell outta me cause when it does, the amp speakers sound like they're gonna explode. All my other basses sound and play perfect, btw.

Is it something as simple as resoldering the connection? If so, how much would a repair like this cost since I know next to nothing about electronics and soldering?

I really miss playing my Peavey because the tone is just amazing.

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    sounds like you need a new output jack. it could be that you just need to re-solder a 'cold solder' connection, but you'll probably need to replace the jack.

if you're at all handy, i suggest buying a soldering iron and doing it yourself. it's a very straightforward repair, and the parts are cheap. as a bassist, learning some basic electronics knowledge is invaluable.

on the other hand, a decent shop should be able to fix this quickly and (relatively) cheaply.

3. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    It could be several things. A connection could be bad, the socket could be dirty, a wire could be exposed and rubbing on something it shouldn't, or probably more.
    You'll have to open it up to diagnose, and it's probably not too difficult to fix, if you can solder.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It sounds like you need to replace the jack, unless your cable is the problem. Also, you might try cleaning the jack with some Caig DeOxit. I use a .22 caliber bore brush to do this. As jacks age, the prongs can get tired and move out of their original positions. Sometimes you can bend them back, but that's a temporary fix.

So in order:

1. Clean the jack.
    2. Check your cable.
    3. Bend the prongs back into place.
    4. Replace the jack.