1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cables...Shielded vs regular speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 28, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    is "shielded" cable a different animal, or is a high quality speaker cable shielded?
    Why do you need "shielded" cable for bi-amping cabinets, the cable between the low/high output and the power amp in connection.

Never played with bi-amping until now...help a bi-amp noob...:confused:

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Speaker cables should NOT be shielded in that respect - among others - they are different than either instrument or line-level cables. I take it you refer to the patch cables between crossover outputs and power amp inputs ... those SHOULD be shielded.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Shielded cable has an outer conductor that shunts external electrical noise to ground. This is generally used for very low voltage conditions where ambient noise can a large percentage of the signal, such as between the instrument and the amp. If noise is picked up here, it will be amplified to many times it original value by the preamp and power amp. It's best to use sheilded cables on everything up to the power amp output. At power amp output ambient noise is so small compared to the signal as to be negligable. Here, large conductors are needed to handle the power going to the speakers. There is no need to shield them.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Further more it's BAD to shield them - it's BAD - it's bad! ; }

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    hahaha!
    G.W. Sr.?

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    can you give me a brand name or a part number of shielded cable I can buy. I did a search on Musician's Friend, and didn't come up with any shielded...
    and yea, I'm refering to the patch cables from Bi-Amp Low or High frequency OUT to Power amp IN connection, as in the SVT4Pro rear panel (or whatever amp has bi-amp capability.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All instrument/patch cables are shielded, most speaker cables are not.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    if a cable is labled "Low Noise" on the insulating jacket, what are the chances it is shielded?

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    SPEAKER CABLES are sold as SPEAKER CABLES. The others are not. You aren't shopping at Walmart, are you? ; } - Get thee to a decent website that specializes in cables if you'd like to understand all this better.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    no, I don't have a Walmart for 50 miles from me...

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Darn near 100%. Noise isn't an issue with speaker cables.