Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    hey, i have a fender 70's precision 80's re-issue (i think) hooked up to a ashdown mag C210T-300 Combo amp, and i was just wonderig if you guys could recommend some good cables with a clean low end. any help would be great. thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just buy a decent cable for 15 bucks or so.
    Or better, buy 15 ft. of cable, 2 Neutrik plugs, a soldering iron and some solder[?] - and make your own.

Every bassist should be able to do this.

Monster cables don't sound better, they just cost more. Boutique cables are snake oil.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But one area where they beat the pants off of other cables is their waranty.

The Monster cable return policy is simple.

You bring a broken cable (doesnt matter why or how it broke) into any store that carries the Monster Cable brand (with or without a reciept whether or not you bought it there) and they are obliged to give you another of the same cable you brought in on the spot without having to fill out any forms.

The store then send the broken cable back to Monster who credits them for the free cable they gave out.

Its the best return policy Ive ever seen for any product.

If a store refuses to do this, call up Monster and tell them and Im sure the'll strighten out those guys.

Peace
    Nick

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have had Monster Cables for years and they do make a difference in the speaker to head connection. I have had the 15 cables and the homemade cables. I will spend the money on the Monster. I hear the Planet waves cables that are coming out are comparable.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nick, what do you do with a broken cable on a saturday night, take it to a store or fix it yourself?

The warranty isn't worth the price tag IMO.

firkinahsoul, he was talking instrument cables, not speaker cables.

And still I think you are hearing things - but it's your money...

You should be able to solder a cable in any case, though.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

ditto.

7. The best cables around are made by a Boston bass player named Pete Brunelli, pete@petebrunelli.com who also goes by the name of fretlessrock.

[​IMG]

His prices are very fair, and he has a big assortment of cable colors and different connectors. He does speaker and mic cables, too.

I abuse cables, and these things are bulletproof and absolutley transparent sounding. I am a very satisfied customer.

Aloha,

Jonathan

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They look like my cables. Klotz cable and Neutrik plugs.

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    How much do your cables cost to make JMX? The only reason I buy the Monster is because I know they are covered and I don"t have the time to make them, and I get cost price on them which makes them (21ft.) $26 with shipping. Sorry I didn't specify that before. I would look for an alternative if I loose that endorsement.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well where I buy them a 21" cable is only $5-6 more than any other cable out there so I dont see tha price as that big a deal.

I think anyone should be able to fix their own cable but who is going to plug in their soldering iron mid gig?

I just bring a backup in case of the worse.... which hasnt happened.

I have a friend who is really roungh on his gear and has broken a couple monsters mid gig (he brings backups) and what he's done lately is break his moster cable on purpose if he see's its wearing down or has a bent tip from him stepping on the cable so he can get a fresh one for the gig.

Peace
    Nick

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What monster cables are you buying?!

Mine are about $20 from GC for the 21'.

Peace
    Nick

12. no matter how expensive or "average" your cables are, it's a must for every musician to carry some backup. I won't go to a gig without, even though I use mainly monster.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

I disagree that high end cables are "snake oil". I have a Tara Labs cable that set me back a couple of hundred dollars. Was it expensive? Not really, compared to the number of fret levelings and fingerboard resurfacings that I have done over the years to make my basses play their best, let alone SOUND their best. Do I think it was worth it? Definitely. The difference between that cable and Monster cables or Klotz cables with Neutrik plugs is substantial both in the studio and in live performance. IMHO, if you can't hear the difference, your amp setup isn't very good, or you're not listening. ;)

14. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    ...or you're not easily affected by false advertising

15. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston

or...

*thinks*

^^ what he said

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Or you have a passive system. The noise picked up by my PUPS is going to far outweigh any small advantages gained in cables. You have to look at the weakest link in the chain. (Actually, that would usually be the listener, but I digress :D )

I could not find instrument cables on the Tara Labs site. Does anybody have a link?

17. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    They're called EARS....
    By the way, TARA Labs as a company does not advertise in TalkBass, Bass Player, BassGear.com., or other bass-player-friendly location.
    Please..... :rolleyes:

If you haven't tried a Tara Labs cable, your opinion is not really of any value (kind of like the Canadian dollar!) :D :bawl:

Seriously, if you think cables don't make a difference in your sound, try plugging a cable like the Tara Labs into a board, and listen to the recorded difference in comparison to a Tara with a Monster or Rapco or Planet Waves or Klotz....I have, and it's why I'll spend a couple of hundred bucks on an interconnect without hesitation.

Ask Carey Nordstrand...we both did the "taste test" with those cables in my hi-fi rig...he's a tone purist, and even he was a bit taken aback at the difference!
    I always bring a backup....another Tara Labs!
    If your cable works for you, then great! However, if you haven't gone the high-end cable route, I'd suggest you actually LISTEN before you post a typical "broke-guy" lemming-like response, and have the intelligence to try a cable like the Tara on something other than your "bedroom rig".

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Sean,
    My response isn't to you...I apologize, but my typing must be slower than yours! You posted before I could respond!
    Go to Bass Emporium's website...they sell them there...I'm sure they'll give you their opinion on their cables. They are honest guys and sell what they believe in, rather than what simply SELLS.
    They really are EXCELLENT cables.

19. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Tell me, does TARA make pre-amps? I certainly don't want to lose any of those precious tone juices to infieror "plain" copper PCB and internal interconnects. While we are on the subject, do they make op-amps with "smoother" silicon? I'm finding my texas instruments chips to be too "mass produced" sounding.

Note: this is very sarcastic

20. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Just thought I'd add a more useful question.
    Do you believe Tara Labs claim about power cords?
    If so, why?
    If not, why do you think they are telling the truth about instrument cables?

Edit: I'm going to bed so I won't be replying again for some time.