1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabs to use with SVT Classic head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HoosierBassist, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    So.

I'm saving up for a new bass rig with a head and cabinet. I'm tired of my solid-state fender rumble 75.

I think I'm gonna get the SVT Classic head. It's 2 or 4 ohms.

While I may be able to fit an SVT810 cab in my car, don't have the need (yet) of such a big cabinet. I also don't wanna drag it around, having to move it up and down stairs, etc.

Are there any alternatives that will work well with the SVT Classic head? I know the 810E has special characteristics, it is sealed. I like what I've heard out of 810 cabinets from Ampeg. Is it easier to transport than it looks?

2. Berg NV610 if you want the Ampeg 810 tone. There are dozens of others so decide if you want a sealed or ported cab.

3. TOG

TOG Banned

Jul 4, 2012
    Given its size and weight it is not too bad. It is well designed with big casters and a nice large diameter grab handle. I can move it around pretty well by myself but help is needed to get it in and out of the back of my wagon and with stairs. I use only for practice and the biggest of gigs, mostly used for back-line rental.

4. There was actually a recent thread about this same topic...

Ampeg SVT Classic-WHAT CAB?

Personally I would be looking at a Faital pro loaded Bassic 115.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What cab? Any cab you want, that bad boy runs at 2 Ohm.

Personally I would pair a 4x10 at largest, but that is because I don't play holes in the wall without P.A. support, and I don't want to carry around something that will be complete and total overkill.

I view every aspect of playing as economy of energy, not just playing the instrument. Huge waste of effort hauling in a rig that you can turn up to 2 before the sound guy tells you to turn it down your ruining the FOH mix in my opinion.

There are 3 bass players in my jam space, I use my 3x10 or my 4x10, I never use both, the other 2 guys use Ampeg fridges. You have to take about 30-40 steps up to our jamspace, no way in hell do I want to haul 130+ lbs out of there just to haul it back after the gig at 2 AM. I hated lugging my SVT up and down those steps, was very glad to switch to a 7lb markbass (that is in a self contained backpack). My heaviest cab weighs 65lbs and is easily carried by myself.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wussies!

:D

7. Now now James...

I dont even consider the SVT to be a heavy head, mine weighs more :D I also have no issues with bringing a cab bigger than a practice amp. I have a volume knob, I know how to use it.

8. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    well I am going to be using my TC 4x10 cab with either the SVT CL, or the SVT 7 pro, still not sure witch one to get but the cab will be the TC, because after buying one of these heads I will not be able to afford a new cab for a while! So fingers crossed that it sounds good with these heads!

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i just played some music at a bookstore with my svtII and 810e cabinet
    kept the volume quite low until the end, the head/cab sounded fine at low volumes but to get dirt or grind you gotta go through a pedal.

just because you can play loud doesn't you can only play loud.

the 810 is easier to move than people think...tilting back and rolling on 2 wheels is much better than trying to push a 4 wheel cabinet around. especially if you have to bend over to do it
    cough: like a 410 :cough

10. I've been looking at some smaller cabs for my CL as well. I generally use a 610HLF but had been considering something smaller for gigs where I don't feel like hauling it. Specifically, I have been looking at an Avatar Neo 2x10. Its rated at 600w ay 4ohm. Anyone have experience with this setup? Any potential issues?

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    :bag::p

I play through a SVT 15E and an old USA SVT410HLF. The sound of the HLF is perfect (I had a SVT410HE that I bought from an endorser, it had 3/4" plywood and didn't sound as good), but the HLF is beastly. The SVT15E probably weighs about 50 lbs. Paired up the two open up sonically too well for me to have to go out and search for others.

12. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    I use a 1990 SVT II non-pro into a Bag End Q10BX-D that I re-wired to be 2 Ohms (originally 8 Ohms). The Bag End is very efficient with a 1 watt-meter SPL of 103 dB, yet is also rated to take 800 Watts. I modified all of the preamp tubes to NOS GE 5751s from the original 12AX7s. This tames the gain of the preamp and makes for a smoother, less gritty tone, which I prefer. Still, even with the lower gain, I never turn the volume past 4 or so on the dial. Heavy amp, heavy cab, heavy tone.

Sometimes I pair the SVT II with an Acme Low B4 4 Ohm cab. This is also an unexpectedly good match, considering that the ported Acme and a sealed Ampeg 810 fridge are such different types of cabs. In this case, the relative inefficiecy of the Acme cab allows me to turn up the amp more, and get more power tube distortion/sag at a lower output volume than if using an efficient cab.

I also think that the SVT II non-pro is amongst the best deals in used amps, in these days of such a buyer's market. Sellers struggle to get $900 for one of these in perfect working order, and there seems to be a lot for sale out there. I cannot see why anyone would pay GC $1600+ for a new SVT II Pro, when it isn't anywhere as good (a matter of opinion, but one that many hold), and has a reputation for more problems, than with the older originals.