Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cakewalk Pro Audio Question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 'JC', Jul 23, 2005.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Didn't know quite where to put this, but here goes:

I created a new drum and piano track in CW, and have an audio track in there with my bass as the bass track.

When saving, my options are midi and cakewalk project.

Is there anyway to save it or convert it into one file that will play back what I'm hearing for others who don't have cakewalk?

I want to create one audio file that has those midi drums, midi piano, and bass audio. :help:

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Okay, I haven't used Cakewalk Pro Audio since Sonar came out, but I remember there were a couple of ways to do this. So a couple of questions first. One, have you tried just selecting file>export and exporting everything to a .wav file? Second, what kind of sound card do you have? It has an affect on how you can bounce midi to audio tracks in Cakewalk Pro Audio. Also, which version of Pro Audio are you using?

3. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    1. Nope, but now that you mention it.
    Tried it and crashes after it finishes - I need to work on this myself.

2. Stock/base model PC card :meh:

3. Been using Pro Audio 9 since the 2002 Home Studio version has some compatiability issues. Won't recognize any midi inputs thus I get no sound when using this for some reason.

Thanks for your help though.
    I should work on all these issues first before proceeding though.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Okay, well I'm pretty familiar with PA9. 6 or 7 would've posed a problem. If you have any other questions after trying it yourself, post again, I'm happy to help. BTW Pro Audio 9 is more powerful than Home Studio anything anyway :)

EDIT: Mine used to crash on Win ME when I tried to export an mp3. Make sure you try riff .wav export, and make sure all your options are consistent with the bitrates etc. of the tracks you recorded. Good Luck!!

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Just save it as a Cakewalk project and then export it as a wav when you are done and/or want to burn it to CD.

6. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    okay, can finally export as a wav, and only get the crash for mp3 format.

Anyway, the wav export is giving me the audio, and only the audio.
    I know midi is not audio, but is there anyway to get what I've written as midi in CW on that wav too?

I'm trying to make a demo of my bass playing with a piano/drums accompaniment.

7. I use Sonar 4 and know that midi must be converted to audio before you can export it.I don't do any midi right now so I haven't read up on the process yet. I can recommend however the cakewalk forum. If you go to www.cakewalk.com you will find a lot of great info on their forums.Check it out.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    You're going to have to record your midi tracks as audio. What, specifically, are your midi tracks using as a sound generator? A soft synth, an outboard box, what? Internal sounds can be trickier depending on your setup. What kind of in/outs do you have? I used to have an option on my soundblaster awe32 called "what u hear" that would record whatever was playing at the time, and that's how I exported midi tracks to audio for years.

Bouncing midi to audio will depend largely on your setup in PA9, so, whaddya got, in detail, expecially in the soundcard dep't?

9. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    ouch. forgot about this thread!

jabberwock - you've been really helpful here and i appreciate it, but now you're scaring me as most of that is over my head. :bag:

Not sure about my soundcard - its most likely the cheapest thing a manufacturer can put in a cheap computer. If it was a car stereo, it'd be the cheap, generic cassete deck unit you find in GM and Ford vehicles. Certainly not a 6 disc Alpine unit. maybe this can give you an idea:

http://webpages.charter.net/jmusic/public/music.jpg
    http://webpages.charter.net/jmusic/public/sound.jpg

could you guide me through the steps or point me somewhere to get info on how to bounce the midi tracks to audio?
    i'm still browsing the CW forums, but so far, no luck, just more confusion.

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    It's OK, there's a lot to this program. Tons of power for whatever recording, from demo level to full-on proffesional production is at your PA9-owning fingertips! The good news is, once you've got a handle on the basics, it's easy to switch to any other Cakewalk product.

The simplest way, but not necessarily the best way, is to plug a real, physical cable from the output of your MIDI device (keyboard, sound generator, whatever) into the line in on your card, and hit record.

I'm still not sure what you're using to play your MIDI tracks right now. Is it an internal sound, i.e. built-in MIDI synth, or an external keyboard or sound generator?

EDIT: If the device is purely internal, run a cable between the output on the card to the input on the card, be ready to yank it out in case of feedback, and hit record.

Try this out. There's plenty of problems with this method that could come up, but they're all related to PA9's settings so they're simple to fix, and it would be easier to deal with them on a 1 to 1 basis, rather than try to warn you in advance. Good luck.

11. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'll try that output to input thing and report back...

I'm not using any external source to generate the sounds from the midi commands. I just create a new track, open up Staff View, and manually enter in the notes/durations. Sound is just the basic midi playback sounds on the computer. No external bank or patches they're being drawn from.

After I lay down say a piano and drum track, I arm another track for recording, plug in through the line-in, from my amp's line out, and lay down the bass track (audio).