1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling All Peavey Gurus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassguy61, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    After 3 years of being bass-less, I'm finally at a point where I'm going to pick one up again. Still on a tight budget, so I'm looking picking up a used Peavey. Had a T-40 back in the day and enjoyed it, just not the weight. My current options look like: USA Fury, USA Foundation, Cirrus BXP. Can you shed a bit of light some of the pluses and minuses of these? Leaning toward the Foundation just want some expert opinions. Thanks, gents!

John

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    USA Fury: Solid P Bass. Light. MIA

USA Foundation: Solid bass. More Tonal Options.

Cirrus BXP: Not as good as the above.

3. By all accounts, and from what I remember, the USA-made Fury and Foundation are great basses that are usually under-valued compared to others built as well. I have a Cirrus BXP and love it. Nothing like the Fury or Foundation with the active pickups/preamp and the neck-through construction, but very versatile sound and it plays like buttah. It could use a satin neck perhaps, but the profile is great from the nut to the body, very fast, and the weight is very nice, not too heavy, but still solid feeling. Anything under $400 for one is a steal IMO. Play them all if you can, but whichever you get, welcome back to the Peavey bass world!

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    There is a peavey foundation for sale now on TB for about a buck and a half shipped. You won't do better than that anywhere IMHO.

5. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    Thanks for all the help so far! I'll go check the classified. Looks like the Foundation is probably what I'll look for...

Are there any quick ways to verify USA made vs. import? (i.e., headstock shape, pickup type, etc...) I've seen a few that I'm pretty sure are USA, just looking for easy confirmation without actually getting serial numbers, etc... Looking on line so not usually able to read the headstock writing.

6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
  7. I had a Cirrus BXP - nicest neck I ever played - electrics a bit iffy - if the previous owner hadn't reamed the trussrod nut I'd still have it. Try one.

G.

8. I'd add a USA millenium to your list

9. And remove a bxp cirrus (Indonesian ones are the only ok bets)

10. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    The USA Millenium would be on my list, but will likely be over my budget. Really wanting to stay under $300, and the Foundations are all well below that. The only USA Millenium I've come across is on the GC used site and goes for a couple hundred over my range (though it IS gorgeous). Same with the US Cirrus. Honestly, the only reason the BXP got any consideration is that I am one of those guys that likes fancy tops...

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You'll never find a US Cirrus for anywhere near $300. But with some patience, you absolutely can find a US Millennium in that price range. This NOS US Millennium was listed at $295 and didn't sell. And it was listed twice.

After that, most used Peaveys are within the $300 range. My first choice would be a G-bass.

12. Axcellerator may be an obscure and worthy candidate

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Not true. Most USA Cirrus' are $800.00-$1,300.00 USED. BXP's are $400.00-$700.00 NEW. That link you posted was an unbelievable deal and about $400.00-$500.00 less than it should have been! -Luke

14. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I would go with the Fury. Its just a rock solid bass that will not let you down. I own a beautiful Foundation, a Fury and the Millennium. I use all 3 but always look to the Fury as my main. I must admit though, I only used my Milly tonight at practice. All 3 are great basses for the money. You really can't go wrong here.

15. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX

+1

I really like my Axcellerator. They can be had used for ~ $250'ish for a 5, $200'ish for a 4 and have lots of good usable tones. Similar in some ways to a Cirrus... must be the VFL's I guess.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a passive bass that has amazing sound quality, definitely check out the peavey millennium bxp basses. I use to own these basses and they sound really cool. they're very useable for recording, rehearsals, and live performances.

17. For the bxp- pay attention to the country of mfg

18. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions! I actually decided on the Foundation. White with a maple board. It should be here in the next couple of days. Looks to be in great shape. Not sure of the age, but I'll figure that out once it gets here. It does have the Super Ferrites in it.

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Good choice. We will of course expect a few review!

20. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Agreed. Indonesia made BXPs are the ones you'd want.