Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling Cirrus users for HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hyoshim, Nov 13, 2004.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    When you adjust truss rod, manual says turn clockwise for less relief (straighter neck). Now the question is clockwise in reference to what? What is your reference point? I tried to lower the action today and notice something strange. I was sitting and the head stock is to my left and the bout is to my right. When I turned clockwise less than 1/8 turn, the truss rod was totally loose. What's up with that? Was I doing it wrong? Should the direction be counter clockwise from where the bass was situated? Manual does not tell you this. So I am asking guys. :help:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Clockwise if you are looking at the screw head on.

So, since the screw is at the headstock, clockwise would be turning towards the bass side of the neck. It seems counterclockwise compared to a truss rod that adjusts at the body, but it is the correct direction.

3. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks,

That is where I got confused. It turned out that my Cirrus had almost a mximum relief (no tension felt only after less than 1/8 turn - although it was a wrong direction). What surprised me was that the action was pretty low even with that condition and I was trying to get the action lowered just a hair.

Now all is good! Very low action = plays like dream