1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Camping

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Apr 19, 2006.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So summer is getting close, May 5th is our first day to go camping and then it starts! Lots of camping... Especially I am looking forward to 10 days of camping on 4th of July and 10 when hunting season opens.

So how many of you guys camp regularly and where you guys go? Pictures photos? Also since all my questions so far been for some reason about food lets um see... what is your favorite camping food?

None of this were taken by me but after 4th of July I will post lots of photos that i took with some to come DSLR camera, these don't do the place justice at all. :)

Tamarack.

LowTwinLk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't camp all that much any more.

When I do thought we always make hobo dinners. If it's a hunting trip sometimes we'll grill up some fresh meat if we get something.

Also, breakfast tacos are usually present.

bc

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Just Q? No one else camps?

Eh... skoti89 was right?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'll be camping for a few days in early June. It's not really camping though. More like renting an RV to party before the Jimmy Buffett concert. Oh well. Same difference.
    I think later in the summer we might be doing some actual camping and rafting in northern Georgia, though. Never been there. We usually go to the Little Buffalow River in northern Arkansas, but no one wants to drive that far this year. :( Slackers..

edit: forgot the food question. We usually eat pretty well. Since we don't have to lug anything, we'll throw a large cooler or two in some of the canoes and grill some porkchops or steaks or something at night. Breakfast is usually eggs and dear or bear sausage.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I love camping. My son and I used to go all the time. Last year we cut it back a bit but we have been talking it up pretty good the last few weeks. We mostly camp at state parks in Maryland. There are a couple of spots that I go to by myself. I will take my canoe and fishing gear and get lost for a few days.
    As far as food goes, it could be anything from steaks to MRE's depending on where we go and the time of year.
    I think so far we are going next weekend.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    BTW, no RV's or campers for me. I'm a tent guy.

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    If I don't get this camp job for the summer then I'm going to organize a huge camping trip with all my buddies for the summer. That would rock! :bassist:

8. Lessee. June 19-22 I'm going to be camping with my CJ frat at Farewell Bend state park, which is on the Oregon/Idaho border, right on the Snake River. Going to go fishing, maybe a little kayaking. Plus tour the State Correctional Facility in Ontario.:D

Then I hope to go backpacking around Mt Hood sometime in July. After the 4th, of course. I want to blow stuff up.:D

Then in August I'm going to be running security at a SCA camp. Maybe I'll get to do more, I don't know yet.

Rock on
    Eric

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    my parents raised me on camping. ive been all over the US to more state parks than i thought possible. since i am somewhat older now (21) i usually just go for an extended weekend in the summer now with my older brother. we usually go backpacking in the mountains just south of ohio in kentucky, red river gorge state park. OOOOOOOO it's beautiful. hopefully ill be able to do some more stuff other than that, but for now thats all we have planned.

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I don't get to go camp anywhere near as much as I used to. I think I will be taking me and the kids more often, though. Hubby is playing out too much to have time.

When I go, I love Colorado Bend State Park, or Inks Lake. I don't camp on Travis anymore, much, but one nice spot is Camp Creek, up past Cow Creek, in Smithwick. Lovely place.

http://wildtexas.com/parks/cbsp.php

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_007.phtml -- Isn't Gorman Falls beautiful?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/inks/ -- Great fishin' lake.

http://www.lcra.org/community/campcreek.html

Cow Creek is more hiking than camping, anymore. Too many people around here. And no one meets there to play music anymore, either. (Used to be a popular place for musicians to have acoustic jams.) But it is still a beautiful, green canyon.

Cherie :)

11. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I'm going to be doing some camping this summer with my girlfriend and my brothers, just ordered a Pignose Hog 30 for some portability. Usually go to Mohican Park in Ohio or some small campgrounds on a small river somewhere. Do a little canoeing and some good cookin'.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I camp regularly. Generally, I go hiking/climbing in the Rockies.

As far as food goes, since I'm hiking I normally take dehydrated foods to keep the weight down.

Here are some pictures from my most recent trip (I'm in the orange).

DSC06728.

DSC06733.

DSC06731.

DSC06693.

DSC06722.

DSC06603.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What are you? Panning for rabbit $#!t or what?

bc

14. Geoff St. Germaine

Nope, that's a "tea" that we made. There's Labrador tea, blueberry, strawberry leaf, rose hip, cedar berry and perhaps some other stuff in there.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wish we had wild blueberries around here. We DO have blackberries. No blueberries or raspberries though...two of my favorites.

bc

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Last camping trip I took in Joshua Tree, CA, about 6 weeks ago:

1911400-R1-026-11A.

1911400-R1-020-8A.

1911400-R2-044-20A.

1911400-R1-018-7A.

17. Geoff St. Germaine

Blackberries are one of my favorite berries. My favorite are cloudberries, but they're hard to get and the only time I was ever able to get many of them is when my parents lived in the far north (they typically only grow between 55°N and 78°N).

Around here we have this thing called a Saskatoon berry. Most of the locals seem to be big fans, but I don't really like them that much. It's sort of like a blueberry in certain respects.

18. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    i likt o cam,p[ wit favc 0potraboles

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pictures from a backpacking trip last August. Resurrection Pass Trail in the Chugach National Forest on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. 6 days 5 nights, 40 miles. Pretty much the holy grail of backpacking. One day off. I'm the drunk looking guy holding the "VODKA" bottle. Which, by the way, was largely responsible for the day off.

No really good quality photos for me, my SLR is way too big and heavy for the lightweight (not ultralite) backpacking I do. And the digital weighs way too much for a week long trip.

ZILLIONS of wild Blueberries on this trail (which also meant lots of bears. - there was a mauling on this trail two weeks before we hiked it). The blueberry pancakes were INCREDIBLE. Didn't see any moose, but saw some black bears, beavers, and bald eagles. I haven't been out since but am working on a long weekend with my camping buddy for late May/early June.

Those snowy pics make me jealous! I love backpacking in the winter - no bugs, fewer people, more challenge, toastier fire!

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a big fan too. We've got tons out on our land.

This week I actually had some coffee beans from Yemen that I roasted up that brewed a cup of coffee with a pronounced blueberry taste. Really unusual but very good.

bc