1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a Jazz still get "Jaco Tone"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Yes, but other same priced basses can't

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No, you need to pay more to get that tone

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Yes, but other even less expensive basses can get that tone

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. No, but other less expensive or equally priced basses can

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Any bass with a similar pickup configuration to the Jazz can approximate the Jaco tone provided that you can play. I will say that what I call a Jaco tone may not be quite the exact fit that some Jaco fanatics want, but I'm not one for trying to sound exactly like someone else.

2. a kubicki can nail the jaco sound perfectly, 2nd passive option (the eq is diabled when in passive) solo bridge pup and shaazamm....and thats going through my behringer thunderbird bx108 with mid and treble on 5 and bass on 6...perfect...well 98% perfect

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Nor am I, that's why I have other basses.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I take the original poster to be asking if a tone like Jaco's can be achieved. I say yes... especially with the bridge pickup soloed. And you can indeed use that kind of tone while not using his phrasing;)

I played an "interesting" bass today... it was an orangeburst P bass with DiMarizio pickups including a J at the bridge position. Mighty Mite fretless neck. Pole pieces set way too high. Actually pretty cool and tagged at $249. Like I need another fretless.

I soloed the bridge pickup and it did have a very similar to Jaco midrangey tone. Lots of punch and harmonics available. Rolled the P pickup in and the tone was gone, replaced by a less distinct, less controlled sound.

Handed it to another bassist and it sounded completely different. Hands.

Then I played some slap on it and another guy asked me what kind of effect I was using on it... sounded like a flanger to him. Probably just the strings vibrating between the raised pole pieces (like a football goal post).

Later I was asked to check out a Peavey Dynabass by another bassist. Soloed the bridge pickup and guess what? Jaco-esque tone ensued. Slapped on that one and people thought I was using an envelope filter. Nope... just varying my release (very subtle) on my fretting hand while using my forearm to mute at the bridge. Hands.

IME it's far less work having a bridge pickup, that'll put you in the ballpark. Work on your touch and that's really bring it home.

mrface2112 likes this.
  5. Mepelsteeltje

Mepelsteeltje

Oct 1, 2017
    Rotterdam area, Netherlands
    Loud, low and lean!
    I have a Squier VM fretless that I equipped with DiMarzio's DP123's and CTS-pots and wiring. It's getting real close to the Jaco tone. But remember: it's not the bass, it's you! The bass just helps a little...

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There was recently and article floating around by someone who took a lesson with Jaco and part of the take away was that he sounded the way he did because of how he attacked the strings with his right hand. I'm not surprised at that having heard his bass tone.

7. I think he actually cut the tone on the bass to around 50-60%. And play right over the bridge pu. Try it - it makes a world of difference. Cheers!

8. Just realized the OP was made 15 years ago. He's probably sorted things out by now. Lol!

FRoss6788 likes this.
  9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    OMG, and I was just getting set to make a big reply :roflmao:

Holy crap.

Good eye!

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    People confuse tone with playing/style. No one is going to pick up a passive P bass with heavy flats and high action and get Wooton's bass tone -- including Victor Wooton. A passive jazz with round wound strings on the bridge pickup will get Jaco's basic tone more or less, but it will not necessarly enable a person to sound anything like Jaco.

Lol, just saw how old this thread is...

11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Yup, but isn't there 'your' sound in your head?