1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anybody recommend a good graphics EQ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Manuel101, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Manuel101

Manuel101

Jul 4, 2010
    I uploaded a live video of my band and some people suggested I should boost the 150 frequency. I own a markbass lm3, a 15/6/1 fearful cab as well as two markbass 210p traveler cabs, i also own a aguilar tone hamer pedal. I usually play with my ken smith bsr 5eg but I also own a yamaha trb jp2. here is the link any thoughts on my tone? i was looking at the ART EQ351 31-Band EQ GRAPHIC EQUALIZER. its on sale for $70 (not a bad price) has anybody used this eq?

2. Manuel101

Manuel101

Jul 4, 2010
    I was thinking of buying the ART EQ351 but i read a review that says it has too much hiss. Has anybody had the same problem with it?

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    People probably meant for mastering, i.e. to put it on youtube then eq it for youtube

I think if people ran their sound through a Real Time Analyzer (RTA) they could see how changing the EQ affects sound.

There are many free software based RTA's

If you must have hardware.
    This one has a RTA Mic input
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DEQ2496/

If you ran a 31 band through an RTA - it may surprise you that it's not as neat and clean as the faders would have you believe.

4. Manuel101

Manuel101

Jul 4, 2010
    I was under the impression they meant it for my live shows. Also that Behringer looks mighty complicated to learn lol.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You don't need a 31 band eq. In fact, you can't really use a 31 band EQ because they are designed to work with line level signals, not instrument level.

If you really need more EQ (your basses, amp and Tone Hammer have plenty IMO), all you need is a parametric EQ pedal.

6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    +1

7. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    i use a 31 band eq in my rig with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

the only thing that does happen is if there are meters, you may not see much movement out of them since they are designed to read line level signals.

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    When I need one(last gig), I've found this little guy to be VERY useful.
    p32075.
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DUN-M108-LIST?gclid=CK-Dw-eZ7bECFYLb4AodQgEAOQ

I use it for:
    1) FOH shows to cut lows going to a 1x12 kickback I use for monitor(lows from FOH subs)
    2) Shows were I'm forced to use BOSE PS1's line input(no tone controls). EQ between Line 6 and BOSE line in.

Both of the above are using it at "line level"(i.e. signals from a wide open Bass POD XTLive). It can be inserted into your effect loop or it can also be run at "low level"(i.e. between your bass and your amp).
    You can also use it to give you a slight boost and cut thru for kicking up solos.

9. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    If you need EQ for your instrument, you will be better off with a parametric.
    Many people simply draw pictures with graphics...

However, if you are looking for a graphic EQ for bass, you should look for something with no more than 10 bands.
    Johnny Crab's suggestion of the MXR will work, and there are a number of other GEQ pedals out there.
    But you do not want a 1/3rd octave for bass.

10. a graphic eq would be pointless....i would suggest just going with something like a sansamp...or just a simple 3 band EQ....you won't need anything fancy...

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Too bad I already sold my dbx iEQ31.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 On a parametric EQ. If you only need to boost one frequency, a nice parametric will give you *much* more control.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    You don't want a graphic, you want a parametric (Rane PE15, PE17, PE55). You can make the tone changes you need, and you can notch out the hot note(s) that is/are wrecking your sound in the house (and thus the mix).