1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Can anyone help identifying my bass? No maker sticker on inside.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by James Frang, May 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    hoping someone may have info about my bass and possibly it's maker if possible. Apparently made in the 1800's. Bought in Europe
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. It's definitely not a Fender.

Can you shoot more photos in lots of natural light? The fora will need to see good shots of the ff-holes, neck heel in profile, back button, scroll button and the scroll and pegbox in profile in order to hazard a decent guess.

Think mugshots. Nothing arty, just clear workmanlike photographs.

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  3. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    Yep definitely not a fender, Ha !!!
    Ok will upload some better photos.
    Thanks

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  4. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    Here are more photos
    Cheers

Attached Files:

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice bass! Can we get some dimensions, please? Upper and lower bouts, rib depths, LOB, etc.?

6. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    Upper bout 27 1/4
    Lower bout 21 1/4
    Ribs 14 1/2
    All around depth 8 1/4
    It's a 7/8 size bass

7. I'd call it Germanic, maybe Czech. It's had lots of work, good and bad, judging by the new back brace(s) and overlaid button graft. Maybe more recent than 19th Century considering the machines have bronze grips brazed to iron shafts, and I don't see any scars that show me they're replacements.

Identifying a specific maker or shop is above my pay grade.

geoffbassist likes this.
  8. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thanks for your evaluation expertise. Someone very reputable in Italy had a quick look at it and even though he told me that he would have to take it in to his shop to have a closer look, he kind of hinted that it could be a Tyrolean bass around mid 1800's. if only I had brought it to his shop, today I would have the whole history of the instrument. He is also an expert on all the Cremona built instruments I forgot to mention that a friend of mine in Italy who plays and builds and restores basses put a few new braces inside and fixed up some old cracks, so that might explain you noticing the newer braces?
    P.S.
    I took a closer look at the machines and to me it looks like they may not be the original ones since I seem to see scars of possibly some other machines having been on this bass before these.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    salcott likes this.
  9. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    here's a photo near one of the tuning machines. Not sure what that larger scar is right next to the machine. ?????

Attached Files:

10. Oh, please, don't inadvertently insult the experts by politely implying that I know what I'm looking at.

There's a lot of funny business in the business of violin family instruments, so it can be tough to know who to believe. I don't think your bass has anything in common with what is referred to as a "Tyrolean" bass. It's too carefully made. That doesn't mean it wasn't made in that province. Confused yet?

And I can't see much in the tuning machine photo you posted. Digital photography is great in many ways, but I miss the manual focus on my old Pentax every time the automatic features on the digicam try to focus on the wrong damn thing.

11. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This looks to me like wood has been replaced. Not a scroll graft exactly; more like removing damaged wood to replace with stable wood.

12. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Or maybe a conversion from three strings to four?

13. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    Yes your words of wisdom are very confusing. First you say it's a Czech bass and now it's worth a fortune. Thanks
    Haaaaaaaaaa !!!

14. James Frang

James Frang Inactive

Mar 28, 2016
    Arkansas
    or maybe 5 to 4

15. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Okay, I take back what I said earlier. I just noticed that the photo is of the E string side. I think the extra tuner would normally be added on the G string side in a 3 string to four string conversion. Never mind :)

James Frang likes this.
  16. Ortsom

Ortsom Inactive

Mar 23, 2016
    Or it might get a different neck in such conversion. The new button seems odd though: how does that grain run? Can't quite see. Do I see dowels going sideways into the heel? Anyway, if it got another neck, the width does not appear to have changed.

I realise it had new bracing, and while it appears a nice instrument, from this information I can neither corroborate nor negate the quoted age. Your reputable Italian connection saw the thing up close, so his judgement should be most reliable anyway. To me, with this info, it may give a somewhat younger impression though.

James Frang likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021