Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i move Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist6464, Jun 14, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    hello i want to buy a essex, and i am getting a jazz bass and it has two j pickups i wish i could hear just the bass with a sound clip but nobody has one so just wondering if i can move the pickups for a diffrent how are they connected???
    with screws or how can u move them do you have to drill more holes or how can you replace them with a better one?????? i just need someone to set me up.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Punctuation... It's a neat concept... :meh:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats this your 4th...5th? thread about getting an Essex? I dont mean to come off rude but this is how TB accumulates so many pointless threads. You can use the search function, as well as the Megathread.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Pickups can be moved if you drill new holes and move the whole thing. I don't know why you'd want to though. Jaco Pastorius did that to his main bass, I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in the sound. But you may have to rewire or resoder stuff if it either falls off while you're moving it (which it shouldn't) or if the wiring does not extend to the point where you want to move it to.

5. If you mean replacing pickups, yes you can most definately do that.

But if you mean moving the possition of the pickup on the bass, you'd have to do some routing in the body as to where you wanted to place the pickup, and that could get messy.

And another thing with replacing pickups, you are going to have to be able to solder all the wires to the correct pots, to the jack, ect.

And as usual. Do a search.

6. you know, you could just buy the bass and see if the pickups need to be replaced once you play it. i had one, thinking i would upgrade everything, but once i played it, it became my main gigging bass, stock parts and all.

anyways, it seems to me that everyone who has an essex keeps their stock pickup, because i have a post in the wanted section asking for essex pickups from anyone who upgraded their essex and nobody has responded yet.

everyone here must be impressed with the stock essex pups.

anyhow, pay the $120 and try the bass...you may just like it!

Charlie

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I know jaco did it to his bass.. But where's the big pickup gap.. All there was left were two little holes o_0.