Can someone please help?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mrfleetfingers0, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Mrfleetfingers0

Jun 3, 2005
    I just got a sansamp rackmount rbi and a rackmount ahpex 204...i also have an ehx blackfinger, digitech bass wah, wireless unit, rackmount tuner and a swr 750x head. can anyone tell me exactly how i should hook these up. i want to use the sansamp as a preamp/di. any input would be greatly appreciated. :hyper:
  2. mad.mick

Nov 21, 2004
    I'd try this:

wireless -->
    blackfinger -->
    wah -->
    750x --> (fx send)
    rbi --> (1/4" to aphex, xlr to FOH)
    aphex --> (fx return)

The reasoning behind this is:

Wireless first, since that is where your signal comes from.

Blackfinger next, since compressors are generally easier to set up when they are placed early in the signal chain. Otherwise you'd have to adjust Comp settings everytime you change the EQ settings.

Wah next, because any other place in the signal chain would most likely not be instrument, but line level.

750x next. I also own that amp and the RBI and in my book the combination 750x + RBI is very good -- better than either unit alone. If you really want to circumvent the 750x preamp section, better sell the thing and buy yourself a nice QSC, Crown or Crest or the like.

RBI next, in the fx loop of the 750x. From here you go to FOH, because that way you can use the aphex (which comes later) to adjust your settings to your cab and the room without destroying the FOH signal. I do the same with a BBE Acoustic Preamp that has a Sonic Maximizer and a semiparametric EQ for the mids, see below.

Aphex next, as said before. Since the Aphex has two channels, you could also use one channel after the RBI and the other before the RBI or in the RBIs fx loop. Just a matter of taste, but be aware that one of the channels then would affect the FOH signal as well. FOH people are generally not happy when you bombard them with a very mid-scooped or very bass-heavy sound. So what I did was dial in a good neutral sound on the 750x and the RBI (over headphones and rechecked over a PA system) with *slightly* boosted bass and treble and then adjust to cab and room with the BBE. Sounds very smooth, thick, punchy and clear on stage and the FOH people are happy campers.

Also, I had the impression that the 750x was not loud enough at itself (and read reviews of others who said the same), and I use my BBE to boost the signal significantly before the master volume knob of the 750x. I figured, the SWR people maybe designed the amp that way, to allow for units with very high output to be pluged into the fx loop. With my setting now I'm loud as hell if I want to.

And I put a decent tube into the 750x, a NOS Sylvania 5751 triple mica green print, that sounds much cleaner, smoother and less harsh and buzzy compared to the chinese 12ax7 that SWR plugs into their amps.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah I'd go with that setup although maybe try the comp after the BSW and use it for limiting the whole signal so you have more sound going into the wah straight form your bass and then you get rid of any nasty peaks that might occur while using the BSW.

Hope that helps
  4. Mrfleetfingers0

Jun 3, 2005
    Where would I put the tuner in this set up. Can I put the tuner in the unaffected output of the Sansamp RBI?