Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Ok. So I have some old speakers that my family used to use for the TV. Right now it's 2 10s with a tweeter. The only problem is it runs at 60 watts at 8 ohms :crying: . So I was wondering if I could get some speakers to replace these ones that run at 4 ohms. I would like to run 450 watts into the whole thing. Would i need both 10s to handle 450 watts, or would I need the total between the 2 10s to be 450+ watts? And if this is possible, What speakers would you recommend me to replace these old one's with. I have a friend who's good with wiring speakers and everything so I don't need help with that.

2. Ok. I figured out since there are 2 speakers then 2 8 ohm speakers make the cab 4 ohms. Is this correct? Any answers to the questions in the first post?
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd say you should just buy yourself an avatar 210, becuase for the money you spend on some good speakers, you could get one of their 210's. And it would be designed properly. When you change speakers, the physics change, and that affects sound, usually in a bad way.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

doesnt more resistance create a higher resistance? so 2 8omhs would make it a total of 16ohms
    edit: i forgot if its in parallel, it will be 4ohms, my bad.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, wired in series, yes it would be 16 ohms. But wired in parallel, it would be 4 ohms.
  6. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    If it's from a hi-fi system the drivers are most likely 16 ohm and the cabinet 8, as many receivers can't handle 4 ohm loads.

I too would reccomend an avatar over new drivers.