1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cooldude_832, Sep 29, 2008.

1. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

Sep 28, 2008
    I have a old school kustom head from the mid 70s. Solid State (no tubes :()

Sometimes and I think its weather dependent the thing sounds nice and warm like its suppose to.
    Other times (90% of the time) it sounds extremely distored and the lower the tone the greater the distortion.

Any Ideas?

The distortation is reguardless of the source and I know its the head not the cab because I ran the cab into another amp and it plays fine and I ran the head into another cab it it sounded like trash.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Step one would be to take the chassis out and look around for loose or corroded connections. If we're talking the old naugahyde amps, I recall the chassis being wide open inside, not much in there at all, therefore easy to do a visual check.

You say weather dependent. Temperature or humidity? You may be able to work that to your advantage. Maybe.

Where has this thing been living?

3. Open the head up and look around for loose solder joints on various components on the circuit boards....i had a similar thing happen to one of my amps, and I opened it up and found that one of my darlington pair xstrs(power transistor)had a bad solder joint and was making it crackle....the more it vibrated the more it crackled...also some of those transistor are chassis mount and they put a thin coat of plastic to isolate the body of the xstr from ground and they tend to deteriorate after time causing the chassis of the xster to short to ground.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There was a thread aout this on harmonycentral, but I think they are down right now???