1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can this Peavey 410TXF handle the wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tidder65, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hello,

Since a few months I own a Markbass Little Mark III. I'm using it now with my 8 ohm Peavey 410 TX cab, so I'm not using the LMIII's full 500 watt (at 4 ohm). So I might get me a used 4 ohm 410 TXF, which is specified at 350 watt continu, 700 watt peak. Do you think that's enough? I never needed to crank my little amp to the max.

Thanks,
    Theodoor

2. I would get another 8 ohm cab which would give you a total of a 4 ohm load and much more volume than a single 4 ohm cab. The 4 ohm vs the 8 ohm watts are not going to make that much of a volume difference.

The amp would be able to blow that single 4 ohm cab, but just use your ears and if it sounds wrong then turn it down.

3. +1 for the most part. Those 4 Ohm Peavey cabs are pretty beefy.

My question to the OP is this: Are you driving your current set up to the point of running out of head room or making your 8 Ohm cab fart out?

If you are running out of head room then a 4 Ohm cab might make sense but if you are needing more volume then switching to a lower impedance cab isnt going to help much. I second the suggestion to get a second matching 8 Ohm 410. You will gain several things.

More power
    More head room
    More power handling (you have to be able to do something with the power)
    better dispersion (when stacked vertically)

Now I understand that its more gear and more weight, but if you are looking at saving weight neither of those cabs is your best option.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to both above.

5. If your current set up is loud enough for your needs stick with it. As posted, the difference between 300 and 500 watts is not that significant. You would need to increase power by ten times to get the system twice as loud.

6. Hello,

I bought the 4 ohm cab. I took my Yamaha BB415, Little Mark and my 8 ohm cab to the seller to do a side-by-side comparison. To me, the 4 ohm cab sounded better, clearer. But this one was front ported whereas my own cab was rear ported. So that might be the greatest influence.

I know about the dB calculation and from 300 to 500 watts isn't a giant step. Gigged with it last Saturday in open air and I was very content. Somebody mentioned headroom, and I think this 4 ohm cab gave me much more. Turned the volume about halfway, very powerful and totally clean.

Yeah, they're beefy, one is enough!

Thanks,
    Theodoor

7. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Glad you're happy. I agree, the majority of what you were hearing was the change in cab design and not change in impedance. I like the TXF and TVX cabs. TX, not so much.