1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you recommend flats to me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tomek Worek, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tomek Worek

Tomek Worek

Sep 8, 2016
    Okay, so I hope threads like this one don't make you all angry yet, because I want to ask you to help me choose a flat string brand. Long story short, first flats I bought were the Chromes and I liked them quite a bit, then I got the GHS Precision which I found too dark, and now i have the Rotos 77 on, which are pretty good, but sound a little too "thin" to my taste.
    I want a string with good intonation and clarity, don't want it to be clunky and muddy. That's why I lean more towards the brighter sets, but I still want the warmth and mellowness associated with flatwounds, nice fat and pronounced lows and low mids, with enough high end to play some slap (but without being too trebly), and not that much of a mid range. Oh, and a gauge of 40-100 or 45-100 would be nice :)
    After an online search I started looking towards the EB Group 3 flats. Is it a good choice or do you have a better idea, string experts? Or maybe I should go back to the Chromes?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Fender 9050L, 45-60-80-100.

Marihino likes this.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Go back to Chromes. You had it right the first time.

bassbully likes this.
  4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    EB Cobalt flat 45.100.
    Comfort tension, growl tone while wide open tone knob , not too thin not too fat sound, great attack if you have aggressive plucking hand, smooth enough with roll off tone knob. String to string tone balance are nice.

But, I prefer Ti sound with add bass on Amp EQ.