1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can you recommend me nice stiff rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Jul 12, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    hi all
    I'm switching to rounds on my bass, but I like the stiffness of the flats I have right now...are there rounds out there that are nice and stiff? If they sound good, last long and don't cost too much, that would be even better!
    thanks!

2. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ps: I like very low action

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    You can guarantee the rounds will take a little getting used to... .45 flats typically have more tension than .45 rounds...

Now, finder* noise and coarse feel will take some adapting to compensate for... :D

My recommendation, Roto 66's Nickels. Warm, fairly taut with a medium gauge... try a high gauge if you don't mind stainless steel. WARNING: steel 66's eat frets. You need steel frets or extremely light touch. :bassist:

*finder? my finder must have slooped.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Rounds won't go as low IME. But if you play light and love fret clank!!!!:D

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I don't mind the fret clack!
    also, I'm used to rounds' I've played them a lot, so it's really finding the set that will feel the closest to flats, not sound like them!
    also, my bass is a dano, I doubt is has "good" frets...

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  7. I'm pretty happy with DR Nickel Lo-Riders. Hex-core, quite stiff. Steel Lo-Riders, too, but Nickel feel better to the touch.

8. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

Dec 17, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    +1 for Lo riders or maybe GHS Boomers.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Boomers are definitely stiffer than LoRiders. LoRiders are actually not very stiff at all, just stiff compared to low tension strings like Sunbeams or HiBeams.

10. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Boomers= barbed wire fence. :eek:

11. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    they hurt...?

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Wow! I didn't find that true at all with Boomers. For me I found them to be rather smooth.

13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I'm gonna have to try the nickel DR's next time I change rounds... Nickels always feel smoother and seem to give a more 'thick' middy tone.

Some people are allergic, so be somewhat cautious! :crying:

14. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I have a set of Fender 9120 nylons on my fretless. Just did a squeeze test, and I think they're a little stiffer than my D'Addario 160's. They feel super smooth, last forever, and sound surprisingly bright. But, my fretless has a piezo pickup, and that might accentuate the tone difference.

15. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    So far the stiffest rounds I've used are Daddario XLs and GHS progressives.

Progressives are super smooth, though (relative to most rounds). So they trick you into thinking they are lower tension than they actually are.