1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you use an 8ohm head with two 8ohm cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cubano1147, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cubano1147

cubano1147

Feb 26, 2010
    I'm running my 8ohm markbass through my hartke full stack which has two 8 ohm cabs. I'm wondering if this is safe because i dont want to mess up my head or my speakers.

2. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    This explains everything you need to know:

220px-OhmsLaw.svg.

3. Earache

Earache

Feb 3, 2012
    Denver
  4. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    I didn't know MarkBass even made an 8-ohm head. If you have one, you shouldn't run it with two 8-ohm cabs unless you want to ruin it. See the FAQ's.

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Unless they're wired in series to make 16ohms

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What amp do you have?

7. Maybe it has two outs labelled 8 ohms each like my Trace.

8. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    If it has two jacks for two output most likely it's ok. Since most heads can handle 4 ohms safely.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    2 x 8ohm cabinets will be a 4ohm load.

Far as I know most markbass amps should run a 4ohm load.
    that is the limit though.

more heat will be present. so common sense follows, allow good ventilation of the amp. overheating problems can occur if the vents are blocked or the amp is housed in a case/rack that does not allow adequate air flow. otherwise you should be fine.

the amp has thermal shutdown protection, if the amp ever shuts down then you have a problem otherwise dont worry about it.

10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Pulled this form the Markbass site:

"You can use two 8 ohm cabinets with any Markbass head. The total ohm load then becomes 4 ohms, which means that you get more power from the amp. But be warned, you can't use Markbass amps into an ohm load lower than 4. That means you cannot use two 4 ohm cabinets, or one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm! There are two speaker outputs on every Markbass head. Simply connect one output to each cabinet. Be warned that using your amp into an ohm load lower than 4 ohms will damage your amp and will not be covered under warranty!"