1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't decide between these fuzz pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mouthmw, May 29, 2011.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm getting a fuzz pedal, and I'm not sure whether to get a Bass Big Muff, or a 90s Sovtek Big Muff clone. I'm not sure how it would retain the low end.
    Also, I have a good offer on a MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz but that pedal seems a bit less variable and too hot.
    So if BBM better for bass than custom made "boutique" Sovtek Big Muff copies?

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    haha.. welcome to the world of fuzz..

BassFuzz.com

spend some time there. each fuzz has its own character, and a lot to offer. my reccomendation? dont limit yourself to muff and muff clones. poke around bazzfuzz.com and see what you like- his reviews are worth looking at.

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've been already poking around that site, great site!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I shouldn't limit myself to muff clones, but those were the easiest to obtain.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Fuzz is a can of worms, my friend!
    Maybe we can get you closer to what you want. What kind of music do you play? Finger or pick style? What kind of bass and amp?

5. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Look above me!:ninja:

6. Personal opinion only in saying that, based on what you originally listed, the BBM doesn't really do it for me.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I play a passive jazz cv.
    GK 700RB II through Ampeg 810E.
    Playing hard rock. Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Mars Volta, Wolfmother...
    I like the fuzzy/tremolo sound that JPJ has on Heart Breaker and we cover that song. I'd also combine fuzz with envelope filter, delay and possibly tremolo for psychedelic jams.
    Edit: mostly finger style but also with a pick sometimes.

8. Ry, your next fuzz pedal. :D

9. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    IMO, the Bass Big Muff is only good on the dry setting with a lower fuzz setting dialed in to give a little bit of dirt around the edges of your clean signal. If you're wanting something more fuzzy, there are a bagillion options. Personally, I say support a great TBer and check out Ryan's stuff- FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS

10. force40

force40

May 19, 2011
    Just spent about 45 minutes at the store comparing big muff to mxr el grande. Big muff sounds amazing and the bass boost switch reall beefs up the low end. The mxr is very similar and has the bass boost as well but the fuzz tone is not as synth sounding. The big muff"s major drawback is the lack of a saturation knob. The big muff fuzz is either full on or full off. Mxr el grande allows for more subtle fuzz effect. I got the mxr.

11. Have you looked at the Fender Sublime? Great pedal!

12. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I'm thinking you may actually want a nice, dirty tube-like overdrive instead of an all out fuzz. Depending on the effect it should give you the dirty, aggressive sound you're looking for without losing all your definition.

13. I just took possession of a new Joyo Ultimate Octave for $40 shipped. It's a decent fuzz!! I'm totally pumped about it. I compared it to my 90's Green Russian Big Muff and it's not the same at all. It's Octave feature on the bass was a little moot with the exception of making weird sounds but the straight up fuzz was very full and defined. If you don't like it, someone will give you $40 for it....

Joyo JF-12 Guitar Effect Pedal Ultimate Octave| Joyo Effect Pedal | Bypass - YooSmart.com

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Damn, you guys opened up an old thread of mine. I've been using the Swollen Pickle fuzz for a long time now. Next in line for purchase - B3K. Having an OD and fuzz pedal on my board will do for some sweet dirt.

15. Your wallet is going to hate you

16. OD > fuzz is noisy heaven!

17. Prescription Electronics Depth Charge! Since... You weren't really... asking... :bassist:

18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Considering the number o pedals purchased in the last 3 months, it already pretty much hates me..

19. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Nice site...I hope they review the Tech 21 Red Ripper, soon. I'm in between that and the Barnacle.

20. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Barnacle is my favorite fuzz! Getting a Frantone Lo Tone delivered soon though. I probably will have both on my board if the Frantone is like I am imagining.