1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't hear bass player....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by M Sharp, Jun 8, 2014.

1. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    At a bar right now and bow. Band is good, but bass is non existant.
    How to tell him or band without insult?

Jeff O'Connor and Machiavelli like this.
  2. This drives me crazy too...

Just yell it out, it's a bar. I doubt it's his doing anyway, it'll give him more ammunition at the next band meeting.

3. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    The bassist is sitting on his amp for the 1st set and and 2nd. Don't know if he realizes no one hears him. 2 guitars are carrying the bass.

4. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    My buddy who agrees just walked up mid-song and told him. It's on him now.
    So far no adjustment.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Probably he was told by the singer and guitarists to keep it low. As a public service, TBers should fan out, spreading the message to band leaders at gigs everywhere: "more bass!"

To start, I'll cover central Virginia wineries on Tuesdays and small music clubs on Thursdays. Might need a little help covering the world's other music venues, though. Anyone?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    hrodbert696 and Hawkbone like this.
  6. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Bass is too often missing from the mix

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    If the bass and / or drums can't be heard then it is not rock and roll.

TinIndian and jimfist like this.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I play in an acoustic duo, where my bass lines are an integral part of our all original songs. My biggest gripe is when the "sound man" mixes my bass so low in the FOH that it can't be heard. It's impossible to tell from the stage.

9. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Bass in the PA or just the amp? How much amp did the player have?

10. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Wow. I think I may have been drunk-posting!!!
    It was a smaller bar and the band mixed themselves. Guitar combos miked, keys direct. Drums bass not miked.
    Bass player had a large combo, big enough to sit on through every set. I told my buddy he did not need to be miked. His amp should be able to rumble. He played very lightly with a pick and the 4 of us agreed we heard zero bass. He may have thought he was loud enough by feeling the bass under his arse?
    My friend said, "hey turn up cause we can't hear you."
    He gave a perplexed look and did nothing.

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Tell his bandmates how much better they would sound if the bass was heard OR, if you're feeling cocky, ask his bandmates if the bass player's amp is broken because you can't hear any bass. I get the "you're too loud" thing on stage sometimes. When that happens, I make it a point to walk around in the audience on the next song where no backing vocals from me are needed to check the bass level in the audience.

PS: this is another reason why walking around with a wireless during soundcheck or the show is required(got bass?).

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Maybe that guy is like me and cares about his ears more than his slot in the mix There's a point where I just wave bye-bye to the volume and tell the guys I'll see them at the end of the night.

You can have bass in the mix or not but I plan on getting paid either way so....

And yeah...they are my ears and I get to decide how loud is too loud.

Having said that. sitting on top of your amp may be the worst place in the world to judge mix volume....

13. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Bass is the nuts in the band. No bass...no nuts.

I play with groups where the whole stage rumbles because of me..thats what they want. =)

Sometimes I feel I am a little too loud....but hey.

vmabus likes this.
  14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If you're worried about ear damage, you should get a nice pair of plugs (every bass player should have a nice pair of plugs)
    Playing without hearing myself is seriously no fun. I can't believe you actually would just be like "whatever" about it.

15. jason73

jason73

Jan 13, 2014
    I had the exact opposite problem last week at a gig. Our drummer and I rocked out apparently guitar/vocal free. He was there, but sound man sucked the anuuuuus. Someone in the crowd got pissed and went and fixed it themselves for the last 2 songs.

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Don't confuse a refusal to enable some idiotic volume war with complacency, I'm hardly all "whatever" about it.

17. A pair of legs hanging over the front of the cab make a great mid muffler.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bass player sitting on his amp = someone who just plain does not care.

TinIndian, MDBass, AdamR and 2 others like this.
  19. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I just assume by default they cant hear the bassplayer. Besides if we get loud enough, we can use our sonic frequencies to confuse females into thinking we are not the bassist and then sleep with us.

Remyd, CBRXJ and AdamR like this.
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Ridiculous.