1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capo for 6 string bass?!?!?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by BassChase, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    bessey-clamps-lhs10-64_1000.

MattZilla, Les Fret and Karl Kaminski like this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I've thought about using a partial capo on my six.

There's a little A Dorian line that I do.
    It ends on a low C.
    I want the C to be a long sustained note.

I normally up tune the low B to a C.
    But I'd rather use a capo on the low C.

That way I can thumb slap the capoed C,the last note in the bassline,to let it ring and fade out while I repeat the line.
    Then remover the capo for normal tuning for the rest of the piece.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have tried a Spider capo on my guitar. But it didn’t work good. It was a problem getting all strings pressed correctly. So I double if it will work for bass.

Really looking for a ‘normal’ capo for six string that spans all six string. No partial capo.

4. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    as posted earlier...
    But if you want off-the-shelf...

There is no off-the-shelf 6str bass capo. (thats why your reading this ;)) Measure the widest part of your neck where you want to use a capo and compare it to the classical guitar equivalents. (go to the big box store, search amazon, etc).

The Jim Dunlop 88B Trigger Capo Classical worked on my bass up to about the 3rd fret with ample pressure. At the 5th fret and up, I needed an extension (as described above).

My first thought is how high is the nut? if its too high you'll have extra resistance on the capo.
    Second, how hard do you pull on the string? If you're pulling/slapping excessively/agressively a spring capo can't compete. Third, How high is the action? Any combination of these will affect capos' effectiveness.

If you need more pressure, you'll need to move into the DIY realm with a mod of something like the Paige-P6E-6-String-Guitar-Capo. You'll get the pressure but lose the quick-change ability.

5. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Do you have a picture of your capo with extension? Would be helpful