1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capo for 6 string bass?!?!?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by BassChase, Mar 9, 2008.

1. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    sorry i wasnt sure which forum to post this under, but where can i find a capo that is large enough to span the massive neck of my ibanez sr506?

2. sorry no answer here... but wondering, what do you need a capo for?

3. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well on a four-string you can use a capo to switch between Drop-C (CGCF) and Drop-D (DADG). Tune your bass to CGCF, put a capo on fret 2, and bam! Instant Drop-D. I guess a similar concept could apply to 6-string basses.

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    not criticizing, just wondering... why stay in the lowest tuning you need and and simply finger the notes? new harmonic series on the strings?

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

A Shubb 12-string capo or classical guitar capo is 2.25" wide. I hear they build customs, too.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Riffs that make use of open strings are the only reason I can think of for a capo on a six string bass, but some people need that sort of thing.

As Jim Carr said, capos made for a 12 string or a classical guitar are wider than ordinary capos, measure your neck at the point you will be using the capo, and see what one of the big online stores have to offer.

I knew a guy who played a single course 8 string, and he used a capo on a couple of numbers that his band played in an open tuning. He used two Kyser capos, one on each side of the neck.:cool:

7. Daleb

Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    I just recently restrung/retuned my 6-string EADGCF.

I sometimes use a Kyser capo at the second fret from the underside of the neck to cover the DGCF to give me EADG an octave higher than a standard 4.

After seeing this post yesterday I checked to see if the capo would cover all 6 strings, and it did. My 6 has pretty narrow spacing though.

8. gotta love trying to research what capo will fit a 6 string just to come to talk bass and listen to everyone talk about why you would even use a capo on bass.

9. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I had a six string Spector that I needed to capo a for a few songs. I used a classical guitar capo. It didn't cover all of the strings but luckily that didn't matter. For the silly "why use a capo?" crowd it was because I needed to play a low C and play a high melody simultaneously and tapping didn't sound as good and another situation involved a lot of droning a low G and doing open string pull off stuff. A capo is more efficient than changing tunings in this case.

10. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Ah jeez.... Zombie thread and I didn't notice.

MattZilla likes this.
  11. Passenger1968

Passenger1968

Apr 21, 2018
    My thoughts exactly!

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I doubt the OP is still looking but, for future reference, just use a pencil and some elastics.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  13. Passenger1968

Passenger1968

Apr 21, 2018
    My thoughts exactly !

14. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Its funny the naysayers view of a capo as a crutch instead of a tool. I used a D'addario NS classical capo on my SR706 in two different ways; (1) as a convenient quick way of using this bass for both Gospel (Ab tuning) and Motown/RB (Standard tuning) on the same gig (2) or for experimental gigs where I could Capo up the neck to play the same bass in Guitar (EADGBE) tuning (using two hipshots on the upper strings) for chordal/support work with another bassist or guitarist doing duets and non-traditional playing.

A capo is a great tool and can expand your options. It saved me from bringing two instruments to a gig many times. And I liked how the capo got me more in touch with my 6str by using it in different ways.

But to the details of capo research:
    The NS Classical Capo worked great on my SR706 (15.75" Radius) though I did add a piece of aluminum square tubing to it (hobby, craft, hardware store) to increase its length when capo-ed at the 8th fret. Before cutting the tubing to length (IIRC, they are 12" long from the hobby store) gently bend it to shape. I actually pressed it down on my bench to get radius I needed then match it to a 16" radius block. The idea is to massage it into shape, not bend it. To finish, I added some self-stick window insulation as a cushion for the strings (its not as good as the stiff rubber on the capo, but it did the job)

Hope thats helpful for the DIY crowd.
    Be creative, make your tools, make your gear to suit your needs!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  15. I’m not sure about a capo for 6 string bass. I’m sure the width of the neck would be a factor. Some basses have narrower string spacing than others. I’ve played 5 string basses with fingerboards as wide as my last 6 string bass.

I am curious if anyone knows of a capo that only capos two strings and doesn’t get in the way too much playing around it or below it. I mainly play 5 string and I’ve been thinking about getting another 4 string and setting it up bead. I’ve done that before but i wasn’t able to play some of our songs where I’m droning on the d string for example and playing melodically above that on the g string. Would be cool to use a partial capo to basically change open notes to bedg. The verse line from this for example.
    I’m playing an open d on the g string I’m playing f#, g#, and A. I can sorta play it by fretting that D on the 15th fret if the B string but makes its much more awkward to play.

16. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    chapito likes this.
  17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    chapito and Nephilymbass like this.
  18. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    nice I like the idea of the spider (I wonder if it can be disassembled to fit custom string/DIY widths?)

the partial capo site is great for bass inspired DIY capos

good finds!

gebass6 and HaphAsSard like this.
  19. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    Spidercapo appears to offer custom sizes.

gebass6 and HaphAsSard like this.
  20. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am thinking about using a capo for six string bass too. I use one on my four string from time to time for solo pieces.

Are there big enough capos that span all six strings and have enough pressure?

gebass6 likes this.