Carles Benavent!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IronLung1986, Feb 22, 2013.

1. i found out about Carles Benavent a few months ago and recently bought his album "Quartet". i've begun to realize that his brilliance as a bass player surpasses nearly anyone else i've heard, rivaling even jaco. and i'm still a new fan! i'm serious, if you're not already familiar with this guy you have to check him out. his style is incredibly expressive and technically stunning, with a very unique Spanish flair that really jumps out and grabs you. i'd say this album Quartet is a great place to start - very accessible, mostly instrumental, excellent songs. anyway i just had to share that with you all!

donCameron likes this.
  2. tambourine

tambourine

Nov 29, 2012
    Mexico city
    Excelso bajista.

3. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I have been a fan for years, first heard him with Paco De Lucia.
    More importantly, Tony Levin is a fan: enough said.

4. CarlosDeSanchez

CarlosDeSanchez

Dec 4, 2013
    Norway
    Endorsing Artist Markbass Amplification
    Benavent changed my life as a bassist, now after years of friendship and many lessons with him I see how deep his style can go... Truly infinite. Love the guy!

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I've found Carles maybe 10 years ago. . . truly awe inspiring. I'm not a big fan of his solo CDs, but really love his collaborations with Paco and other flamenco artists. I really dig his original approach both in sound and technique.

6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I am going to resurrect this, what an amazing talent

7. peterpalmieri likes this.
  8. Carles Benavent and Josemi Cremona Sumando is another really good CD to have.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  9. donCameron

donCameron Inactive

Jun 3, 2017
    Pittsburgh

He's an all time fav. You should check out "Live...One Summer Night" by Paco De Lucia.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  10. fusionguy

fusionguy

Aug 21, 2014
    Great player who deserves more attention. I also remember his playing with Musica Urbana as well as with Chick and Paco.

donCameron likes this.
  11. vertigo

vertigo

Sep 27, 2008
    Argentina
    Sorry for bringing this back. Just saw this video and I dare to say nobody ever in the history of bass has been able to play the way he plays. Not even close. I mean there are plenty of amazing flamenco bass players, but no one plays like this at all. Btw he is still active and kiling it.

Joshua, gimmeagig and westrock like this.
  12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    A true innovator and unique voice in a world where so many are copycats. When I first heard him I was stunned. So original, so singular, thank you Carles for being you!

13. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Carles is cool, I remember being intrigued by an article I read about flamenco bass in the '90's. I checked out what I could find and thought it was cool.

It's good when the less mentioned players gets mentioned.

14. Great clip. I wonder if Carles also knows how to play the Flamenco guitar. I bet he does. Strange that he chose to play the bass with a pick. It seems like flamenco bass could also be great is you played it finger style like a guitar.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006

16. vertigo

vertigo

Sep 27, 2008
    Argentina
    He is also an impressive mandolin player, which of course he plays with a pick too. I believe his style would be completely different if he played with fingers, maybe less rhytmical.
    Here he is playing mandolin with the legendary Paco de Lucia Sextet.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021