Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlo Giordano basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ashevans, Aug 4, 2005.

1. ashevans

ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    Hi,

I've been learning double bass for about 8 months now and am now looking into buying one. I saw an ad for carlo giordano double basses that come with a piezo pickup, gig bag and bow for about £500. Does anyone know anything about them? And is that a good price for what I am getting? :confused: I'm completely new to double bass buying so also could someone tell me what to look for in a good bass?

Thanks

Ash

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This sounds like another name for a bass-shaped object. Did you find this thing online? Do you have a link for us? Any bass under $1000 is going to need setup work... does it have an ebony fingerboard? Have you read through the newbie links on basses? Lots of good info there...

oh, and....

I CAN'T READ YOUR SIGNATURE, COULD YOU MAKE IT BIGGER?

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I can't say much about the quality of the bass you will get. It could be absolute garbage, or it could be almost absolute garbage. Either way it won't be great. My first bass however cost $1300 and did me alright for about 5 years. I had to put about $1000 of work into it, though. The instrument itself is a matter of luck in some ways. I can tell you it won't be great, but there is no certainty about how bad it will be.

Here is what I can tell you in absolute terms. The piezo pickup will be unusable it will be so bad. The case will provide little to no padding. The bow will be a piece of junk. Do NOT let the inclusion of any such items be an incentive to buy this bass. I guarantee you will end up buying a new pickup....

Caveat emptor.

4. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    I know somebody who has one... great bass for the price... pickup isn't so bad, either get a preamp or a really long patch cable... highs are too brittle and harsh. definitely want to change the strings though, sounds like a chainsaw when played arco. Be sure to test it out and inspect the inside for any problems, make sure you like the way it feels.

5. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Funny?

"Rest in peace Dimebag Darryl." Heavy Metal guitar player, died I believe by being shot on stage by a "fan". He was quite a player. My kid loved him.

Walt MI/USA