1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carlsbro TC-100 vs. Laney Supergroup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sletnern, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    How would you guys rate these two amps against eachother? I'm looking for an amp I'm gonna use for practice and live(small venues) in a hard rock/blues band. Punch, bottom and mid is the name of the game. Reliability is also a factor...

Please tell me what you think.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Either of those I'd uprate teh filter capacitors for punch and bottom. I actually have a Carlsbro TC100 and don't recall if it has a Partridge OT or not, the Laney does. Whichever has biggest iron there is probably your best bet. Reliability is down to a decent and full service. Tough to find either of those without some sort of bodging having happened.

What cab are you planning?

3. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Planning a 4x12 or a 2x15. but not sure yet. The Laney I'm looking at has got it's original tranny(partridge) changed for one from Hiwatt. Don't know much about these things... I just know that Geezer used a Laney Supergroup on some of the Sabbath albums, and I like what I hear....

Is it a lot of work(expensive) to change the filter caps?

4. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Bumbing this one... I really need an answer...